[lit-ideas] Re: How long is the coast of Britain?

  • From: "Richard Henninge" <RichardHenninge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 05:24:52 +0200

----- Original Message ----- From: "Donal McEvoy" <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2010 3:19 AM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: How long is the coast of Britain?

--- On Sun, 24/10/10, Richard Henninge <RichardHenninge@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If there's any redemption in fair play, tit-for-tat, and an
immediate comebacker correction, you probably meant "Raymond
Carver" in the subject line of your subsequent "Jane
Austen..." post.

No, I meant "John Carver" but I was probably confusing him with Raymond Cheever. Unlike the tree/bread confusion, this mistake is easily enough made as they were both neurotic men, narcissistic, egocentric, friendless, and so deeply involved in their own defensive illusions that they each invented a manic-depressive wife as they battled with the bottle. While under the influence at the Iowa Writers' Workshop, it is said they themselves frequently mistook themselves for each other, and were only saved from almost certain ego-death by only one being bi-sexual, the other of no fixed orientation whatsoever.

As to "tit-for-tat", I am unsure if there's any redemption in it but it has been shown by game theory to be among the best Evolutionarily Stable Strategies, although "two-tits-for-a-tat" is generally better. I am not making this up.

Donal

........ It's _John_ Cheever and _Raymond_ Carver--who'll be the first to blink and check Wikipedia? And did you understand Palma's reference to Baker (?) and cicadas? Is his Baker Dawkins or is he talking about baker brown cicadas?

At a loss for evidence, evidently,

Richard Henninge
University of Mainz