[lit-ideas] Re: "Honesty Is The Best Policy"

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 20:24:34 -0400

>A.A.  The same idea coming up concurrently in separate places is not
>unprecedented.  Picasso and Braque both came up with cubism at about the
>same time independently.  Likewise I believe that Newton and another
>person both discovered calculus independently at about the same time.

It was Leibniz.

>Newton, of course, is credited.

Yes, and like a true bastard, he NEVER let GWVL forget it.

>I'm sure there are other examples.

I came up with the idea for drunk driving tests -- you get to take a test
when you are drunk and they write your threshold capacity on your driver's
license -- and then I listened to a Comedian (Doug Stanhope) and he
mentioned it. DAMN, another patent down the drain. There's always my
grapefruit-eating glove.

>An idea whose time has come is pretty powerful.

An idea is an actual species, but not when we are talking about Derrida.

deriding,

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Leamington, ON