[lit-ideas] Re: "Honesty Is The Best Policy"

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:31:13 -0500

RP instructed:
> Cervantes said 'Honesty's the best policy' [_Don Quixote_ (pt. II, ch.
> XXXIII)
> Benjamin Franklin, who is often credited as having said it first, was
> either
> borrowing from Cervantes, or hit upon it independently (it really isn't
> that
> profound a saying).
>
> Richard Whately would seem to be playing off the ubiquity of this proverb.
>
> Cervantes also said, 'The proof of the pudding is in the eating,' 'I have
> other
> fish to fry,' etc.

Cervantes also said: "When in Rome, roam around."  He also said: "A fool
hath the courage of his convictions, the wise man hath the convictions of
his courage."  He also said (though no one will admit it):  "Out of the land
of the gypped, the bruised people fled,  and after manna manna days they
settled in the land of ilk and money."  He also said (though no one knows
what it means): "One turd in the hand is worth two Bushes."  He also said:
"One day at a time."  He also said: "Don't let the sound of your own wheels
drive you crazy."  But it was too late by then.  The man had become a
veritable windmill.

Mike Geary
erstwhile Cervantes scholar
of Memphis