[lit-ideas] Help with Hegel Quote (Was: "SM" -- and Aristotle on slavery

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:37:47 EDT

Geary:
>so maybe the reason we haven't killed them isn't  because we're too >decent,
but because we're just as greedy  and selfish and self->aggrandizing as they
are.

Depends on your point of view. A Hegelian would testify  here to the
_universality_ of the Platonic dialectic of the Slave-Master cycle.

No slave without a master.
No master without a slave.

Hegel hoped to show that the dialectic of _thesis_ and  _antithesis_ would
eventually materialize in a _synthesis_, which I don't think  is what
Southeners
are thinking of when they say, "The South Will Rise Again".

Etcetera, etcetera.

But I don't understand what Geary means by 'servant's  job', so there. Is
that like the old indenture thing brought back from the  Mother Land?

I never read -- in German -- that passage where Hegel  speaks of the master
and the slave. I suppose he is also quoting from Aristotle  who thought that
'barbarians' were a necessity in Athens (therefore justifying  slavery in ...
"Ethica Nichomachea"?

Cheers,

JL