[lit-ideas] Ursus, Ursa, Ursum (Is: Stange)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:31:47 EDT

>I was born in Austria, transplanted to Chicago  at the tender age >of six
and always thought of myself as  part of some genteel class >reduced to
poverty.
Every few years or  so, someone behind the >counter in a store or somewhere,
will ask me  if I'm European.

Very Interesting. Now you will have to tell us (or me) _where_ in  Austria.

And is "Stange" your family name (we say 'maiden name' in  Argentina, but
that's no longer politically correct, right?)

Ursulas I know a few -- the Swiss actress, Ursula Andress  is one. It all
sounds as from European nobility, not genteelity if you axes  me.

Has "Ursula" a meaning in Austrian? In Latin it would be  "little bear". Odd
that no male I know is called "Ursulus", but merely "Ursus"  (In Argentinian,
"Ursus" means, 'strong as a bear' -- he's an ursus).

Cheers,

JL