[lit-ideas] Elocution at RADA (Was: Dame Deborah Kerr from Helensburgh to Malibu

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:24:59 EDT

Geary:

>I'd say your acquaintances took Bernardo's  advice to Anita to >heart:
"Better get rid of your accent."

This reminds me of Deborah Jane Kerr Trimmer.

She was born in Helensburgh-on-the-Irish Sea, not far from Glasgow.

    She spent months learning a flat American  accent, dyed her hair blond
and went ...
_www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/<
WBR>article/2_
(http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/18/AR2007101800839.html?hpid=topnews)

    "I studied voice for three months to get rid of  my Glasgewian accent. I
changed my hair to blonde.
_www.brainyquote.com/quotes/www.braindeborahker275549.html_
(http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/d/deborahker275549.html)

    Her flat American accent led to a  succession of roles.
index.ebay.com/actors/Deborah_Kerr.html

Her case is interesting as she was soon 'transported' from Helensburg to
"Northumberland House", which is near where H. P. Grice (born Holborne,
Birmingham) was educated, i.e. in *Clifton*, Somerset.

Now, what's _wrong_ with a Helensburgh accent?

In one film, Deborah Kerr plays with a 'faint Irish accent'. I'm sure dear
Dame Deborah would have much to say (to fellow-country Scots, only, perhaps) as
 to how bad she felt at RADA (or perhaps not).

This slightly reminded me of "The gold and the glitter", where Consuelo
Vanderbilt reminisces, "When I arrived in England, people wanted to be polite
me, and said -- "You just don't look or sound like an American". They couldn't
 realize how _hurtful_ those remarks were to me". I loved Consuelo for  that.

Anyway, let Deborah rest in grand piece. I love all of her films.

Cheers,

JL