[lit-ideas] Re: Help with Hegel Quote (Was: "SM" -- and Aristotle on slavery

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 17:09:31 -0700

I never read -- in German -- that passage where Hegel speaks of the master and the slave. I suppose he is also quoting from Aristotle who thought that 'barbarians' were a necessity in Athens (therefore justifying slavery in ... "Ethica Nichomachea"?

I know little Hegel and less Greek, but a 'barbarian' and a slave were not the same thing for Aristotle. A barbarian was originally simply a non-Greek, so-called because of his unintelligible speech: barbarbarbar...and so on. 'Barbarian' was originally neutral; I don't think Aristotle ever uses it pejoratively. Athenians had no need for a supply of barbarians.

'Natural slaves' (doulos) are discussed near the beginning of the Politics; such people are slaves by nature, minimally rational, and minimally virtuous—rational and virtuous only to the extent that they are capable of understanding and carrying out the despotes' requests.

Natural slavery is different from legal slavery, e.g. captives and prisoners of war who are set to work in the lead mines and elsewhere. It was in principle possible to escape from legal bondage, but not to escape from one's natural state as a slave.

Slaves are probably mentioned somewhere in the NE, but the Politics is usually considered the main source for Aristotle's views on natural and legal slavery.

Robert Paul
The Reed Institute