[lit-ideas] Re: Future Chos

  • From: "Edward Gleason" <egleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 08:04:35 -0400

In a discussion about Cho, my ex-military officer brother speculated
about what would have occurred had Cho  burst into a gathering of former
marines and opened fire.   According to my brother, if the marines
weren't armed, they would have rushed the bastard, reasoning that some
of them were going to die anyway and if they did nothing, they would
have all died.

This was impressive, for he asserted that even in a circumstance of
such sudden violence, some people retain the ability not only to act
against the powerful instinct of self-preservation, but they can also
still perform simple arithmetic.

Yes, in theory, if the college students in one of the classrooms had
all jumped him at once, some of them would perhaps still be alive.
But, a person can be forgiven for not running toward the bullet stream
under the notion that he/she MIGHT not be the person who died as a
result.

>>> Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 4/20/2007 1:12 AM >>>
Except that Lawrence said we teach pacifism instead of jumping them and
knocking them flat.  He's suggesting, perhaps, that instead of SAT's we
measure the length of people's arms and the size of their knuckles.  It
seems to me, Lawrence, that your curriculum is exactly the one we've
been using on the world stage, and here we are.  We'll be well prepared,
maybe, for the next school shooting, but in every other aspect of life
people just won't want to to talk to us.  And we'll be like, fine, see
if we care, pow!