[lit-ideas] Re: Fukuyama and the end of history

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 00:19:56 -0700 (PDT)

--- Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As to the article's paragraph you refer to, this was
> developed in The Last
> Man portion of his book, Part V.   I don't recall
> Fukuyama doing as Andreas
> suggests, "Constantly attacking liberal democracy as
> a ploy of weaklings."
> I recall him being ambivalent about life where
> Nietzsche's "Last Man" has
> prevailed much as the paragraph suggests.

*Yes, the passage sounds Nietzschean in a Straussian
way.

 I do not
> find Fukuyama wishing
> for any alternative to Liberal Democracy.

*It sounds to me like he wishes for an alternative but
he doesn't see a credible alternative available. Yet
is seems obvious that Fukuyama has underestimated the
potential of political religion as well as
nationalism. (He might have correctly estimated the
power and importance of Al-Queda, but that's a
different matter.)

Regarding the Hegelian elements in Fukuyama, I would
recommend this article by Roger Kimball. (A rare
sample of enlightened conservative these days.)

http://www.newcriterion.com/archive/10/feb92/fukuyama.htm

http://mail.yahoo.com