[lit-ideas] Re: Fukuyama and the end of history

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:28:14 -0700

Fukuyama's book is absolutely fascinating. Many thanks to Lawrence for getting me to read it.

Fukuyama does something that I never thought would ever happen: he bases US global policy on... Hegel. The necons are Hegelians. A major reason why his book has been so misunderstood: there's many very long chapters that discuss Hegel. Hardly anyone in the USA can understand that. The language philosophers don't know this stuff.

Fukuyama's idea is based on an analysis of the formation of the self in Hegel's Phenomenology of Spirit. To me, that's easy reading, because, by coincidence, that was the subject of my graduate thesis at the Universitaet Heidelberg.

Fukuyama is an 19th century thinker. His ideas are taken entirely from 1806; he writes in reaction to the Enlightenment. He uses Hegel to understand the world. He discusses Nietzsche and Marx. But he stops somewhere around the 1870s. There is only a single mention of Heidegger. Absolutely zero about Bultmann, Bonhoeffer, Brunner ,etc. Fukuyama seems to be totally ignorant of them.

These are some of the reasons why his book is so misunderstood.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com