[lit-ideas] Re: Fukuyama and the end of history

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 23:52:53 -0700

Lawrence,

Be careful of reviewers of F's book. Either a) they didn't read the whole book b) they didn't understand the Hegelian arguments c) they're not familiar with Continental philosophy (and very few American academics are) or d) they're Realists who are arguing against F.

F writes in an ironic tone. When he says that liberal democracies are the best and final form of government, he is being very ironic. He is setting the reader up to hold a belief, which he will then demolish. After getting you to openly admire the apple, he has you take a bite, so you will see for yourself how it is infested with worms.

Read the last two lines of chp. 27. For 27 chapters and 300 pages, he has explored all the aspects of liberal democracy, showing why it will assurely win. Now, finally, he turns to why democracy is a bad idea. The real danger is...

"the greater and ultimately more serious threat comes from the Right, that is, from liberal democracy's tendency to grant equal recognition to unequal people. It is that to which we turn now."

Here is the Hegelian dialectic: the very essense of liberal democracy is poison. Useless weakings take over the planet and heroes lose.

P. 311: "The end of history would mean the end of wars and bloody revolutions. Agreeing on ends, men would have no large causes for which to fight. They would satisfy their needs through economic activity, but they would no longer have to risk their lives in battle." (Several sentences, in which F denounces citizens of democracies as mere dogs.) "Human life, then, involves a curious paradox: it seems to require injustice, for the struggle against injustice is what calls forth what is highest in man."

Thus: While mindless fools applauded the collapse of the USSR as the victory of democracy and the end of history, F sees the world enters into meaningless stagnation. What we need is war, glorious war.

You write that F rejected neocons. Not at all! F creates the moral foundation for neocon. He is deeply neoconservative. F is possibly the most brilliant of the neocons. F sees the necessity for moral battles, where brave warriors risk their lives to defeat evil empires. Those warrors are natural aristocrats and stand far above trivial and quaint nonsense, such as laws, treaties, the Geneva Convention, rules against torture, and so on.

Although F supported the invasion of Iraq (as I wrote previously, neocon is the moral obligation to topple evil governments), he is unhappy with the way the war has been carried out. It turned into a mess. He is trying to rescue neocon and get it back on the path towards moral victory.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>