[lit-ideas] Re: France, a Rogue State in 1801-05

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 22:40:39 +0100

Britain wasn't the Hegemon until after 1805, once Nelson had defeated the
French and Spanish Navies at Trafalgar. Before then, though dominating naval
trade, she was unable to project her power onto the Continent.

Note that Trafalgar enabled Britian to send an army onto the Iberian Peninsular
in 1808, the same army that crossed the Pyranees in 1814, even as Britain was
fighting the War of 1812 across the Atlantic.

After 1805, based on its naval supremacy, Britain might be said to have been
the Hegemon. Before 1805, she was merely competing for the position, albeit
with a distinct financial advantage.

It sounds to me as though Kagan is erroneously projecting a world view back in
time supported by a deficient knowledge of European history.

Simon