[lit-ideas] Re: En dehors de all that tat

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:21:19 -0500

I've not been to New Orleans, but my husband and son did a bicycle trip from New Orleans to Niagara Falls (Canada) many years ago and came home raving about Muffuletta. That Christmas I bought all the ingredients and wrapped them up as a present for my husband. My recipe made a more modest amount than Mike's. (Although there's nothing modest about olive salad in any amount.) Then just three weeks ago, my grown son, home from Vilnius, undertakes olive salad. You can't exactly get muffuletta bread in North Bay though and he wouldn't hear of cheating, so he up and baked the bread himself. Too bad I don't like olives.....but it makes the sex question easier...
Ursula

Mike Geary wrote:

Irene:

Just a question.  Would you ever eat
brains?

When I was a kid, Mom would cook us scrambled eggs with calf's brain every now and then. As I remember I liked it quite a bit.

The other day we were talking about Rueben sandwiches of which I'm an afficianado. Equally delicious is the muffuletta sandwich which you might not have tasted if you've not been to New Orleans or The Young Ave. Deli in Memphis. The muffuletta requires a muffuletta loaf -- round Italian bread about a foot in diameter -- it consists of mortadella (the Y.A. Deli uses pastrami instead), ham, Genoa salami, Mozzarella and Provolone, and olive salad with oil. The olive salad is the Holy Grail of Muffulettanism. One recipe is:
a.. For the olive salad:
b.. 1 gallon large pimento stuffed green olives, slightly crushed and well drained
c.. 1 quart jar pickled cauliflower, drained and sliced
d.. 2 small jars capers, drained
e.. 1 whole stalk celery, sliced diagonally
f.. 4 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced diagonally
g.. 1 small jar celery seeds
h.. 1 small jar oregano
i.. 1 large head fresh garlic, peeled and minced
j.. 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
k.. 1 jar pepperoncini, drained (small salad peppers) left whole
l.. 1 pound large Greek black olives
m.. 1 jar cocktail onions, drained
"Cookery N'Orleans Style"

I'm just glad I don't have to decide between sex and muffuletta sandwiches.