[lit-ideas] Re: Emotion and Politics

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 23:54:40 -0500

Of course it does.  Bush & Co. may have had rational reasons, if you
consider greed a rational reason (I consider it emotional), but the support
he drummed up was drummed up with fear, an emotion.  WMD, run for the
hills, etc.

> > I think most human decisions are emotional.
>
> Do you think so or emote so?  How do you know?

You married your wife for rational reasons?  Or was it for love?  You
divorced your wife for rational reasons?  Or was it for some variation on
an emotion?

> > Humans use
> > their rational brains mostly for doing things like inventing, creating.
>
> But not writing posts.

Sometimes they're rational for writing posts too.  Sometimes they're not.

> > Everything else is in the emotional, animal brain.  I always thought if
we
> > did away with love, and just liked instead, the world would be a lot
> > better
> > off.
>
> I've always thought that if we did away with thinking we'd be a lot
better
> off.   But there you go.

We can't do away with something that's never been done.  Academics, crap
like that there's plenty of.  Thinking, not a bit, at least not where it
counts.