[lit-ideas] Re: Dogo Argentino, etc

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 14:14:02 -0700

The Dogo Argentino is the sort of dog I'm accustomed to.  The
characteristics described in the articles are not that different from those
described for the Rhodesian Ridgeback.  I doubt that the Dogo is any more
dangerous to people than the Ridgeback, but it resembles the Pit Bull, so
people will think so.  The Australians have outlawed them: "Australia had
followed Britain's lead in banning dangerous dogs. Four breeds had been
banned, the Japanese tosa, the fila Brasileiro, the dogo Argentino and the
American pit bull terrier."

And Britain, that former dog-loving nation . . .  I ran across the
following: "Baker's first instinct had been to order all the Pit Bulls in
Britain to be exterminated, but he was forced to back down when dog owners,
vets and even his allies the RSPCA refused to accept this genocidal plan.
The next best thing was to 'phase out' the dangerous breeds, so Baker
effectively made it illegal to keep the American Pit Bull Terrier, Japanese
Tosa, Dogo Argentino and Fila Brassiliero. There were no members of the
later two breeds in the UK and only one Tosa. The Pit Bulls were an easy
target, so Baker decided that any dog of the 'type' known as the Pit Bull
Terrier should be neutered, registered, tattooed and microchipped and
subject to third-party insurance. These dogs could not be bred from, sold or
exchanged. The ultimate aim was that the breed would die out in ten years or
so."

Lawrence