[lit-ideas] Re: Darwiniana

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 13:53:23 +0000 (GMT)

Some comments below on analytic-synthetic, with thanks to JLS for the useful
excerpts from Popper's writings on evolution.

In these, Popper acknowledges a change in his position but in a way that is
perhaps overgenerous and might provide blank ammunition for the less scrupulous
of his critics. His change of view is more a clarification of
what-is-and-what-is-not testable under the guise of 'D' than any radical change
in view: where at earlier times he emphasised important ways in which D is not
falsifiable, he later wished to clearly acknowledge that many D-type
explanations are well-tested. This is not a fundamental change of view as to
the testability of D but amplification based on the fact that different D-type
claims having different degrees of testability.

But D as an explanatory framework (to be contrasted with, say, a Creationist or
Lamarckist framework) remains (almost) as 'metaphysical' as its rivals: for
what observation could ever falsify it? One of Popper's key arguments, for the
'metaphysical' status of D as a framework, remains untouched by his later
clarifications - if we found a planet with traces of primitive life that
corresponded to those from which life on earth evolved, but on that planet no
life further evolved, would that falsify D? And if we found a planet with
conditions for life that corresponded to those from which life on earth
evolved, but where no life evolved, would we take that as falsifying D? Popper
thinks not (we would instead probably explain the absence of evolution of life
in such circumstances by some contingent facts - such that the primitive life
was unable to survive or that the conditions for life, though seemingly
favourable, simply did not trigger the same specific
 contingencies that led to the evolution of life on earth). And so it is very
hard, in this vein, to conceive what kind of observable fact would ever falsify
D as a framework:- for it would appear that any pattern in evolution -
including even the failure of life to evolve - could be explained within a
D-type framework.

What has evolved is that Popper came more clearly to see that his own theory of
knowledge is an 'evolutionary epistempology' in the sense put forward by D.T.
Campbell. However, this evolutionary aspect is evident even from Popper's first
book, The Two Fundamental Problems of The Theory of Knowledge. Also young
Popper was hostile to the appropriation of D and ideas of "fittest to survive"
by Social Darwinists, Nazis etc. and wary of D as a pseudo-scientific platform
for vile ethics, and this influenced perhaps his initially circumspect and even
"contemptuous" treatment of evolutionary philosophies. [That said, it might be
noted that Popper thinks Bergson's elan vital is onto something important].

More below.