[lit-ideas] Re: Darwiniana

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 22:54:00 +0100 (BST)

Glancing through Stove's "Darwinian Fairytales", I failed to notice any
references to Popper: so far, so good you might say - but this omission is
perhaps surprising given Stove has written a work "Popper and After" which
attempts to critique Popper's philosophy on the ground it is a form of
"irrationalism", and also given that Popper has written well-known stuff on the
status of Darwinism. So Stove is aware enough of Popper's philosophy to write a
book concerning it, but apparently not aware enough of it to consider Popper's
arguments on the status of Darwinism when Stove comes to write a book
concerning this.

One of Popper's key points might be reiterated (especially in the light of the
debate between Blackburn and others as to whether "Darwinism" explains
everything in a way that means it is non-falsifiable because it is compatible
with everything): we must distinguish "Darwinism" as a framework for
explanation (or as a "metaphysical research programme" in Popper's terminology)
from a specific Darwinian theory within that framework:- specific theories
within that framework may be testable/falsifiable while the framework itself is
not testable/falsifiable.

Many commentators fail to observe this key distinction when speaking of
"Darwinism", and so offer potentially confused and confusing accounts of the
status of "Darwinism", which status of course differs depending on whether by
"Darwinism" we mean examples of specific theories within the framework (which
may be testable) or the framework itself (which is not itself
testable/falsifiable, but which may show its fertility via the success of
specific theories within its parameters).

Btw, Stove's book on Popper is a too low-level to bother with: its critique
amounts to claiming that because there is, and indeed must be, "justified
knowledge", that refutes both Popper's denial of "justified knowledge" and
Popper's claim that all "knowledge" is conjectural. This claim would indeed be
sustained if Stove showed there is, or indeed must be, "justified knowledge" of
the sort Popper denies; but Stove's attempts to sustain this are little more
than feeble appeals to self-evidence in different guises and are at a low-level
intellectually. We may as well refute Popper by saying that, as Popper denies
that "knowledge" should be identified with "justified true belief", we have
refuted Popper if we accept that "knowledge" is "justified true belief". If
only refutation were so easy - we could refute almost everything in science by
this kind of argument, and no doubt "Darwinism" too.

Dnl
ldn

On Sunday, 11 May 2014, 23:59, Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

David Stove

Darwinian
Fairytales
 Selfish Genes, Errors of
Heredity, and Other Fables of
Evolution
http://maxddl.org/Creation/Darwinian%20Fairytales%20-%20Selfish%20Genes,%20Errors%20Of%20Heredity,%20And%20Other%20Fables%20Of%20Evolution.pdf

In a message dated 5/11/2014 6:36:42 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,