[lit-ideas] Re: Cheney's shooting expedition

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 23:40:19 EST

I was taught piano from age 4 and violin from age 8 -- I wanted to play the
flute, but my Mother had wanted to have violin lessons when she was a kid and
couldn't, so she wanted them badly for me.  I didn't want to hurt her
feelings....  I played both through College -- AA in Music, Primary  instrument
piano, secondary violin, some classical guitar.  When I had to  leave College I
couldn't face the instruments anymore.  I haven't touched  the violin since.
Sometimes if I'm alone in the house I mangle some  Schubert or Beethoven on the
piano for old times' sake.  My 14 year old has  played violin (HER choice) for
5 years, flute (HER choice) for 3 (Honors band  and honors orchestra), and
has quite successfully taught herself (because I  didn't want to push it on
her)
the piano -- going in 9 months from my showing  her middle C and how to hold
her hands to playing a quite passable Chopin  Prelude, entirely from memory.
She's begun composing her own music.   Scary.  I hope she doesn't burn out too
soon.  Her music is her  destressor -- as it used to be mine.  When she's
upset or angry or  depressed she gravitates to her flute or piano and works it
out.  She also  sings in a local Symphony Society Choir.  Singing always
changes
her foul  black moods to upbeat joy.  I miss "doing" music ....but the
muscles and  brain have atrophied and I can't stand the sound that emerges,
knowing
what I  used to be able to do.  Blame Marlena -- she had to ask.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Cheney's shooting
expedition  Date: 2/21/06 10:12:15 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:

On Feb 21, 2006, at 6:59 PM,  Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Wonder if he has a  fishing license, too?
>
> For me, $25 is a bit much--and so I  can understand not wanting to pay
> for a license.  But, I will--it  IS the law after all...but it makes me
> cross--I don't want to because  of sparing the money, not because I'm
> above the  law.
[snip]

> Speaking of the price of gas, (whine whine), I  had to not allow my
> child to take the bass lessons he always  wanted--the orchestra teacher
> in his middle school said that my son  could catch up if he took the
> lessons form this guy--who's the best in  the area--so that within two
> years, he'd be not only ready for high  school orchestra (he decided to
> not continue with the violin--and had  always wanted to play the bass
> but was not big enough...and he finally  is! [this is still exciting to
> us...], but his dream of playing jazz  would come true. However, the
> private instructor is over on  the Kansas side and the gas just tipped
> the cost of the lessons  over the edge beyond the budget.

Why don't bass lessons come with the  cost of a fishing license?!!!

> What instrument do you  play?  Would you play if you had been given the
> opportunity?   What  is it that you like about it?

I don't play the  bagpipes and the piano...until there's no one else
home.  It's not a  matter of opportunity; it's a matter of aptitude,
with which I was not amply  endowed.  The music genes seem to have
skipped a  generation.

David Ritchie
Portland,  Oregon