[lit-ideas] Re: Cardinals and the Legacy of H. P. Grice

  • From: karltrogge@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 19:08:38 +0200

On 17-Jun-09, at 8:57 AM, Donal McEvoy wrote:

Like at school, when you can't keep up properly you can at least have a laugh at the back of class...

--- On Wed, 17/6/09, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx <Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx> wrote:

First: I've been to Amsterdam and they ARE parochial, and
NOBODY can speak
two languages.

They are less parochial, arguably, than the Playgroup at Oxford and yes they can speak two languages.

At LEAST! My freinds' CHILDREN are fluently trilingual; and their parents are fluently quadrilingual (as well as having classical Greek and Latin). I think Mr Speranza is attempting to pull our collective leg - we must invite him to try the other one (with bells on) ....

Karl Trogge
Hamburg