[lit-ideas] Re: Cardinals and the Legacy of H. P. Grice

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 10:03:13 +0000 (GMT)

> > I have two balls (testicles).
> >  If I say, "My ball itches".
> >
> > Is the 'implication' (for R. Paul will deny
> 'implicature' unless he  won't) that  "I only have
> one ball"?
>
> Caution leads me to say that it may or may not. The
> underlying assumption apparently is that JL's genitals fall
> within some statistical norm—i.e., most (but not all)
> human males have two, so that a reference to one does not
> entail that it has no twin, or cousin, as the case may be.

Isn't it obvious, judging his seminal and multiple posts, that Speranza has at
least three or four balls - make that a sure five? [I say this, incidentally,
on the day Cher's daughter has announced she will use surgery to become a man -
proving again 'like-mother-like-daughter'].

The causal theory of perception, what a crock: is seeing a seeming-lamp, seeing
a lamp? What is important isn't this conceptual stuff but metaphysical realism
or not: if we have adequate grounds for saying there is a lamp, it's not just
seeming, it's a lamp.

Other news: on Dylan's last TTRadioShow, there was a joke about a man who walks
into a bar and has an orange for head and the barman asks why [it's in the
telling, so not here], and he told us that Heinrich Heine left his money to his
wife only if she remarry, to ensure at least one man regretted his death.

For this surely it is God's job to forgive him.

Dnl
Ldn