[lit-ideas] Re: Canadian aboriginal women

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 20:32:16 +0100

Saturday, October 9, 2004, 8:06:03 PM, Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx wrote:

Eac> In a message dated 10/9/2004 1:05:07 PM Central Daylight Time,
Eac> judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Eac> I'd better stop  your researches, Marlena; they're taking your time
Eac> away from working for  Kerry! Bush didn't call Canada a Third World
Eac> country, he simply (!) said  the drugs from Canada could be from the
Eac> Third World.  I.e., swinish  Canadians could be selling adulterated
Eac> drugs to people in the  US.

Eac> Dear Judy,
Eac> Dang. <g>  You caught me!

:-) I waited for a while, I didn't want to spoil the fun!

Eac>  But, if you read what he said,  my interpretation
Eac> MIGHT fit.

Nope....

Eac> (even though I agree that it is not what he  meant..)  (It did get
Eac> me reading about Canada, though, and yes, I do tend  to get
Eac> sidetracked...<sigh>...actually, I'm supposed to be
Eac> cleaning out  closets.

I understand; I have to sort some papers, a lot of papers; and then,
clean out some closets!

Judy

_http://www.realcities.com/multimedia/nationalchannel/news/KRT_Packages/archiv
Eac> e/election_2004/100804_debate_transcript.htm_

(http://www.realcities.com/multimedia/nationalchannel/news/KRT_Packages/archive/election_2004/100804_debate_tr
Eac> anscript.htm)

Eac> Back to sorting,
Eac> Marlena in Missouri

Eac> BUSH: I haven't yet. Just want to make sure they're safe. When a drug comes
Eac> in from Canada, I want to make sure it cures you and doesn't kill you.
Eac> And that's why the FDA and that's why the surgeon general are looking very
Eac> carefully to make sure it can be done in a safe way. I've got an
obligation to
Eac> make sure our government does everything we can to protect you.
Eac> And what my worry is is that, you know, it looks like it's from Canada, and
Eac> it might be from a third world.
Eac> And we've just got to make sure, before somebody thinks they're buying a
Eac> product, that it works. And that's why we're doing what we're doing.

Eac> BUSH VS. REALITY - Intelligence

Eac> BUSH CLAIMS: â??QUESTIONER: Why did you block the reimportation of safer
and
Eac> inexpensive drugs from Canada which would have cut 40 to 60 percent off of
the
Eac> costs? BUSH: I haven't yet. I just want to make sure they're safe. When a
Eac> drug  comes in from Canada, I want to make sure it cures you and doesn't
kill
Eac> you.â??
Eac> REALITY: White House Strongly Opposed Drug Re-Importation Despite
Eac> Congressional Research Service Reports Concluding Canadian Drugs Are Just
as  Safe as
Eac> Those in the US. . In a Statement of Administration Principals issued by
the
Eac> White House Office of Management and Budget on July 23, 2003, Bush stated
his
Eac> strong opposition to drug re-importation. The SAP states, â??H.R. 2427 [to
 allow
Eac> the re-importation of prescription drugs] is dangerous legislation. It
would
Eac> expose Americans to greater potential risk of harm from unsafe or
Eac> ineffective drugs, would be extremely costly to implement, and would
overwhelm  FDA's
Eac> already heavily burdened regulatory system.â?? This despite the fact  that
the
Eac> Congressional Research Service, a branch of the Library of Congress,
issued
Eac> reports in 2001 and 2003, concluding both times that the Canadian drug
supply was
Eac> safe for importation to the US. The 2003 report stated, "The  statutory
Eac> requirements for approving and marketing pharmaceutical products in  the
United
Eac> States and Canada are, in general, quite similar." It found that
medications
Eac> manufactured and distributed in Canada meet or surpass quality  control
Eac> guidelines set by the FDA. [Office of Management and
Eac> Budget,  SAP on HR 2472, 7/23/03,
Eac> www.whitehouse.gov/omb; New York Times, 6/21/03; Knight  Ridder, 11/27/03;
USA
Eac> Today, 8/12/03]
Eac> John Kerry Will Fight to Make Prescription Drugs More Affordable. John
Kerry
Eac> voted again and again to permit licensed pharmacists or wholesalers to
import
Eac>  prescription drugs from Canada to help cut down on prescription drug
costs.
Eac> He  has cosponsored legislation and voted to give states incentives to
Eac> negotiate  Medicaid prescription drug prices with
Eac> manufacturers and require drug
Eac> manufacturers to give Medicaid programs the same discounts they gave to
HMOs and
Eac> other preferred customers, and called for similar negotiating powers for
Eac> Medicare. Kerry and Edwards will cut prescription drugs costs by allowing
the
Eac> federal government to negotiate better prices through the Medicare program;
Eac> permitting the reimportation of safe, FDA-approved drugs; supporting
incentives
Eac> to allow generic drugs to get to market faster. [Vote #217, 7/19/00; Vote
Eac> #200,  7/31/02; Vote #201, 7/31/02; Vote #232, 6/20/03; S. 2605, Kerry
cosponsored
Eac>  10/8/90; S. 3029, Kerry cosponsored 10/8/90; Vote #182, 7/18/02;
Associated

--
 Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK
mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx