[lit-ideas] "Bless you": a performative?

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 12:05:19 EDT

In a message dated 8/5/2004 10:33:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Whereas  Mr. Speranza insists (performatively --
hilariously enough), that "Bless  you" is a performative utterance, and asks
(again, performatively, tee-hee)  what warrants such performativity.  I, on
the other hand, correctly  correct him.  Balderdash, I suggest.  "Bless you"
is not a  performative, but a petition.  It is what I've famously termed  an
ellipsistical.  It means: "May God bless you and have mercy on your  rancid
soul."

----

According to J. R. Ross (of 'performadox' fame), it could be claimed that
there is an element of performativity involved here:

    "Bless you"

Geary's ellipsistical for:

    "May (Clause 1) God bless you
            and  (Clause 2) God have mercy on your rancid soul

This, Geary identifies as a 'petition'.

The irony is that 'petition' _is_ a performative, "I petition  that..."

According to J. R. Ross, then, the underlying form for

      "Bless you"

becomes

      I (SPEAKER) petition HEARER
      shall hear that I petition
      God to bless hearer and
      God to have mercy on Hearer's runcid  soul.

The point being: the performativeness has to do with the desire on the part
of the speaker that the hearer realises that he (the hearer) has been blessed
(by God) but within the context of a petition which is partly
hearer-directed.  (That's why this is an oral thing (oral communication, and
sneezers don't
usually get 'blessed' in _letter writing_).

Cheers,

JL