[lit-ideas] Re: "Bless you": a performative?

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 21:53:49 EDT

In a message dated 8/5/2004 8:50:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,  atlas@earthl
ink.net writes:
"Blood
you!"  Speranza would have us saying.  Meaning, I  guess: "Come a little bit
closer, cause you my kind of Sacrifice.  So  naive and gullible."  But what
does bless MEAN?  And don't tell  me "blood".

Okay. Since the other e-mail I sent on this was in rich text (rather than
plain text) -- and therefore almost impossible to read (my apologies), I will
transcribe here below, for the boring record, again, the OED cites for  'bless'.

It would be interesting to check which uses were _meant_ by the speaker (of
'bless') to be _performative_ and which not.

Geary says it's all 'word magic _sans_ le magic' --

For pragmaticists (like Grice, etc), it's ultimately the _intention_ of the
speaker (utterer) that matters, so _she_ may think she is 'blessing', while
(to  Geary) she is not. Etc.

(McEvoy would comment, "If 'bless' is a _performative_, then surely  'Atchoo'
is, too").

Ultimately, as Enns may agree, it's all an Amish thing.

Note 'bless' fulfils J. L. Austin's requirements for explicit performatives
("I hereby bless you that...").

JL

---  "God bless you and yours from  fire."

Fuller,  Wounded Consc., 1646.

OED cites for 'bless'.

1000 Ags.  Gospel according to Matthew.
xxvi. 26

    "Se haelend nam hlaf and hyne bletsode and  broc."

1200  _ORMIN_  17193

   "Att waterr att iss att te funnt Blettcedd  i Godes  wordess."

1377 _LANGL._  Piers Ploughman B.  XI. 229

   "Tyl he blessed and brak  e bred at ei eten."

1400  Apol. Loll. 30

    "If the priest sacre Christ wan he  prest e  sacrament of God in e auter."

1593  _H. SMITH_  Serm. (1637) 376

    "Before  thou hast blessed it with prayer, thou  hast no promise it shall
prosper."

1596. Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice  III. ii. 79.

1637 _GILLESPIE_ Eng. Pop. Cerem.  IV. iv. 20

      "It was behoofeful for  their cause,  distinctly and severally to bless
those elements."

1649 _MILTON_   Eikon. Wks. 1738 I. 427

      "Where the Master is too resty, or too  rich to bless his own table."

1798 _SOUTHEY_ Bp. Bruno Wks. VI. 149

"And now the bishop had blest the  meat."

1154 O.E.  Chron. (Laud MS.)

     "a was he [Henry II] to king bletcaed  in London"

1420  Chron. Vilod. 563

     "And was blessed Abbas in the same  place."

1168

    "en was Alfyne y blessud Abbas of  t   plase".

950 Lindisf. Gosp. John  viii. 48

     "Ahne bloedsade ue usic vel"

1225  Ancr. R. 290

       "Breid up ene rode stef, & sweng  him  ean a uour  a uoene helle
dogge. et nis nout elles bute  blesce  e
al abuten mid te eadie  rode tocne."

1500  Yng. Children's Bk. in Babees  Bk. (1868) 17

       "Aryse be tyme oute of thi  bedde,  And blysse i brest & thi forhede."

 1562 _J. HEYWOOD_ Prov. & Epigr. (1867) 91,

        "I neither nod for sleep nor  bless for spirits"

1577 _HOLINSHED_ Chron. I. 157/2

       "Bless your eyes with the sign of the  Cross, and try whether you can
see that I see."

1653 _URQUHART_ Rabelais  I. xxxv,

      "When they heard these words, some  blessed themselves with both hands,
thinking that he had been a  devil disguised."

1719 LADY M. W. MONTAGUE Lett. II. xlvii. 47,

     "I  fancy I see you bless yourself at this  terrible relation."

1534 _MORE_  Passion Wks. (1557) 1273/1

"When the devill first casts any proud vain  thought into our mind, let us
forthwith make a cross on our breast, and  bless it out."

1589 _NASHE_  Pasquils Ret. Wks. 1885 I. 93

      "One Pope or other blessed me into a stone  to stop my mouth."

1557 _NORTH_ Gueuara's Diall Pr. (1619) 625/2

     "The pestilence of penny he has in his purse to  bless himself  with."

1562 _J. HEYWOOD_ Prov. & Epigr. (1867) 73

     "He had not one penny to bless him."

1861 _GEO.  ELIOT_ Silas M.,

"I have not a  shilling to bless myself   with."

1609 Man in  the Moone 11

     "Bless his beard with a bazen of  water,  least he burn it."

1175  Lamb. Hom. 59

      "From all . wele  he shall bless us."

1543 _BECON_   New Y. Gift Wks. (1843) 315

       "With such I love not to meddle. God  bless me from them!"

1594 _NASHE_ Unfort. Trav. 43

     "Kisse the ground as holy ground which she  vouchsafed to bless from
barrenness by her steps."

1594 _SHAKES._ Rich. III,  III. iii. 5

   "God blesse the Prince from  all the Pack of you."

1596 _SPENSER_ F.Q.  I. ii. 18

     "Glauncing down his shield  from blame him  fairly blest."

1632 _MILTON_  Penseroso 83

     "Or the  bellman's drowsy charm
     To bless the doors from nightly harm."

1646 _FULLER_   Wounded Consc. (1841) 349

     "God bless you and yours from fire."

1650 _BP.  HALL_  Cases Consc. 181

     "Doubtless, the Devil is a most skilfull  Artist..but God bless us from
employing him."

1855 _KINGSLEY_ Westw. Ho! ii. (Traditional  Spell)

       "â??Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John,  Bless the bed that I  lie on.â??"

1449  _PECOCK_ Repr.   III. xix. 411

     "If thilk doctor had blessed him silf fro this..  perel."

1530 _PALSGR._ 458/1,

       "I will never medle with him, if I may  bless me from him."

1549 _CHALONER_   Erasm. Moriæ Enc. Eivb,

       "Which of you would not loath and  bless you from the company of  such
maner a man."

1618 _RALEIGH_   Rem. (1644) 97

      "From  Suretieship, as from a  Man-slayer, or Enchanter, bless
thyself."

1622 _FLETCHER_   Span. Curate  I. i. 27

        "Bless yourselves from  the thought of him and her."

1651 _MORE_ Enthus. Triumph. (1656) 172

       "Bless thee from madness, Tom, and all  will be well."

1753 _SMOLLETT_ Ct. Fathom (1784) 137/2

     "He blessed himself from  such customers."

1000 Cædmon's  Daniel 400 (Gr.)

     We ec  bless, Faeder , Faeder.

1000  Ags. Psalter xcv[i]. 2

     Bless nu drihtne and his  nne naman  bealde  naman .

1175  Lamb. Hom. 57

      i nome beo iblecced.

1305  Deo Gratias in E.E.P. (1862) 125

      "To onke and bless him we be bounde."

1382 _WYCLIF_   Jas iii. 9

    "In it we bless God the father, and in it we curse  men."

1593 _HOOKER_   Eccl. Pol.  I. iii. §4

"The Creator alone to be  blessed, adored and honoured of  all for ever."

1651 _HOBBES_ Leviath.  II. xxxi. 189

    "The subject of  Magnifying and Blessing,  being Power."

1825 _J. MONTGOMERY_  Hymn â??Stand up and blessâ?? 6

     "Stand up and bless the Lord, The Lord your God  adore."

1000 Ags.  Gosp. Luke i. 68

      "Gebletsod si drihten israhela god,  sm  e he eneosode."

1382 _WYCLIF_   ibid.

     "Blessed be the  Lord God of Israel for"

1440  York Myst. xii. 217

      "Blessed be thou ay, For e grace ou has  me lente."

1526 Pilgr.  Perf. (W. de W. 1531) 251

       "To laude and bless God for his  goodness."

1596. Shakes. Tam. Shr.  IV. v. 18

       "Then God be blesst, it is   the blessed son."

1795 _SOUTHEY_ Joan of Arc  II. 309,

"I blessed my God I was not such  as he."

1843 _NEALE_ Hymns for Sick 44

      "But  Thy But Oh give me grace to bless  It every  hour!"

1440 Ywaine  & Gaw. 3344

     "Folk blessed the time that he  was born."

1845  _HOOD_ Pauper's Christmas Carol iii,

         "Ought not I to bless my  stars?"

1846 Punch IX. 13

       "Let me bless my   prudence."

1000 _Ã?LFRIC_ Gen. xxvii. 4

     "Bring me  æt ic ete, and ic e  blesse  ær am e ic swelte."

1000  Ags. Gosp. Mark x. 16 a

       "beclypte he hí, and his handa ofer hi  settende bletsode hi."

1205 LAY. 32157

       "Me and mine Me a he shall  he  scaen & scriue."

1300  Cursor M. 637

        "God him blessed  and bade  him breed, and multiply."

1383  _WYCLIF_ Sel. Wks. III. 323

        "Thei cursen hem at  God bless God."

1388  Numb. xxiii. 11

      "What is this  that thou doist? Y  clepide thee that thou schuldist
curse myn enemyes, and  Wenward thou  blessist hem."

1410  _LOVE_ Bonavent. Mirr. xv. 38 (Gibbs MS.),

     "After he had i blessed him went uppe Aayne to  heaven."

1549 Bk. Com.  Prayer, Confirm.,

     "Then shall the Bishop bless the children,  thus saying."

1810 _SCOTT_ Lady of L.  III. vii,

     "Stood prompt to bless or ban."

1330 _R.  BRUNNE_ Chron. (1810) 97,

      "I  bless Anselm erfore."

1330  Amis & Amil. 344

       "Men blessed  him, both bone and  blood, That euer him gat and bare."

1613 _SHAKES._  Hen. VIII,  III. i. 54

      "To taint that honor euery  good Tongue  blesses.

1667 _MILTON_   P.L. x. 821

    "So  disinherited how would ye bless Me now your  Curse!"

1712 _STEELE_ Spect. No. 264 1

     "The Fatherless..and  the Stranger bless his  unseen Hand in their
Prayers."

1742 _W. COLLINS_  Ode vi,

   "By all their  country's wishes blest."

1850 _TENNYSON_ In Mem. cxix,

    "I..think of early days and thee, And bless   thee."

1000  Cædmon's Gen. 2357 (Gr.)

      Ic  Ismael estum wille bletsian.

1300  Hymn to God 16 in Trin. Coll.  Hom. App. 258

       Louerd u vs bless.

1388 _WYCLIF_ Gen. xxxix. 5

       And the  Lord blessed the hows of  Egipcian for Joseph.

1549 Bk. Com.  Prayer, Matrim.,

    Look, O Lord, mercifully upon  them from heaven,  and bless them.

1578 Gude  & Godlie Ballates (1868) 65

     Blis, blissit  God, thir giftes gude Quhilk  thow hes geuin to be our
fude.

1596 _SHAKES._   Merch. V.  IV. i. 186

       It [mercy] is twice blest,  It  blesseth him that giues, and him that
takes.

1597  2 Hen. IV,  I. ii. 248

       Heaven bless your  Expedition.

1697 _DRYDEN_  Virg. Georg.  IV. 729

     But she return'd no more, to  bless his  longing Eyes.

1718 _POPE_ Iliad  I. 144

      When first her blooming  beauties  bless'd my arms.

1813 _BYRON_ Giaour 1115,

    I have  possess'd,
    And come what may, I have been blest.

1848 _THACKERAY_ Van. Fair xxxi,

    â??God  bless the meat,â?? said the Major's wife,  solemnly.

1850 _LYNCH_  Theo. Trin. v. 88

        "To say that good gives pleasure  seems poor expression of the truth
that it blesses us."

831 Charter of  Oswulf (Sweet O.E.T. 444)

        aette e sien eblitsude mid em  weorldcundum godum.

1598 _B. JONSON_   Ev. Man out of Hum. II. iii,

    "She was blessed with no more  copy of wit."

1602 Return  fr. Parnass. II. v. (Arb.) 30,

      "I will bless your ears with a very pretty  story."

1610 _SHAKES._   Temp. II. i. 124

       "You may thank yourself that would not  bless our Europe with  your
daughter."

1650 _BAXTER_  Saint's R.  III. (1654) 4

         "Return him hearty  thanks  upon my knees, that ever he blessed his
Word in my mouth with  such..success.

1712 _ARBUTHNOT_ John Bull (1755) 30

      "Mrs. Bull blessed John with three  daughters."

1767 _FORDYCE_  Serm. Yng. Wom. I. i. 14

        "Are you blessed with parents?"

1839 _BAILEY_ Festus i,

        "To bless him  with  salvation."

1611 BIBLE  Jer. iv. 2

     "The nations shall  bless themselues in him,  and in him shall they
glorie.

1674 _N. FAIRFAX_   Bulk & Selv. To Rdr.,

       I blisst myself that I was there.

1684 _BUNYAN_   Pilgr.  II. (1879) 246

     Old men have blessed  themselves with this  mistake.

1839 _BAILEY_   Festus iv,

      To..bask, and  bless myself, Upon the  broad bright  bosom.

1300  Cursor M. 17890

        To our lord Jesus Christ e  blisse.

1380  _WYCLIF_ Serm. Sel. Wks. II. 249

        Christian men should bless to  Cer at pursuen hem here.

1382  Gen. i. 21

       And God..blisside to  hem,  seiynge, Growith, etc.

Ibid. xii. 3,

       I shal  blis to thoo that  blissen  thee.

1590 _SHAKES._ Mids. N.  IV. ii. 14

"A Paramour is (God blesse  vs) a thing of nought."

1646 _MILTON_ Sonn. xi. 5

"Cries the  stall-reader, â??Bless us! what a word on A title-page is  this!â??"

1709 _STEELE_  Tatler No. 25 10

"Bless me! Sir,  there's no Room for a Question."

1752 _C. LENNOX_  Fem. Quix. I.  III. v. 161

â??Lord bless me, madam!â??  said Lucy, excessively astonished.

1844 _DICKENS_  Mart. Chuz. v. 50

â??Bless  my life!â?? said Mr. Pecksniff, looking up.

1849  Dav. Copp. xii. 138

â??Bless and  save the manâ??..â??how he talks!â??

1851 _RUSKIN_   King Gold. Riv. i. (1856) 12

â??Bless my soul!â?? said Schwartz when he opened the door.

1588  _SHAKES._  L.L.L. II. i. 77

"God bless my Ladies, are they all in Miser."

Idem, V. i. (1775) 67

"Bless her heart! good  lady!"

1840 _MARRYAT_ Poor Jack xxix,

"Bless  you, my child, bless you!"

1872 _RUSKIN_ Fors Clav. II. xx. 8

"The  Colonel might have said â??Bless you, my children,â?? in the  tenderest
tones."

1615 _T. ADAMS_  Black Dev. 71

"He would  bless himself to think that so little a thing could extend  itself
to such a  capacity."

1665 _PEPYS_  Diary 1 Apr.,

"How my  Lord Treasurer did bless himself, crying he could do no more,  etc."

1812 _JANE  AUSTEN_ Mansf. Park xviii,

"Could  Sir Thomas look in upon us just now, he would bless  himself."

1838 _DICKENS_  O. Twist xiii,

"An emphatic and earnest desire to be â??blessedâ?? if she would.

1878 _H. SMART_ Play or Pay viii. (ed. 3) 156

"Fuming, blessing himself, dashing himself."

1589 _R. HARVEY_   Pl. Perc. (1860) 33

"My quarter staffe, is it not a bless-begger think  you?