[lit-ideas] Re: "Bleach smells like bleach"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 12:33:12 EST

In a message dated 2/7/2005 11:53:47 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
pas@xxxxxxxx writes:
"Bleach  smells like bleach"

>-- The line is  supposed to be ironic, but I  wonder if other grammatical
>variants  -- without 'like' -- are possible to the  native speaker.

I think  you are going way too deep on this one JL -- but that's what makes

this all  fun, right?

----

Well, I was thinking how it would be subtitled in other languages.

In Italian:

smell: sentire
          fiutare
          odorare
          olezzare

bleach: cloruro di calce

But I don't imagine the English line translates as:

       Cloruro di calce fiuta _come_ cloruro  di calce.

It would seem that the natural way to translate the line is _without_ using
'like', and my point is that there does not seem to be in English a
grammatical  way of saying that bleach _smells_ bleach, only _like_ it?

Cheers,

JL