[lit-ideas] Re: Better to have had faith

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 09:09:25 -0400

My point is that if one doesn't believe Vishnu or Christ  are gods, is one
of that poly/mono religion?  I grant you not all monos are rigidly dogmatic
either (Unitarians perhaps).  That doesn't preclude the necessity of
subscribing to the religion's bylaws, whatever they are, for inclusion in
the club.  Unitarians have to believe, for example, that god is a soft
fuzzy in the sky or they cannot be Unitarians.  Why would someone pray
to/bother with (insert god name here) if they didn't believe this
supernatural power could offer them help/entertainment/guidance/a shoulder
to cry on/eternal bliss or some other thing?