[lit-ideas] Re: Anarchism and Leftism

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 18:52:57 EDT

Hello  sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
In reference to your  comment:

For one, I'm not convinced Hezbollah is  a terrorist organisation - the EU
agrees with me

??????

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Anarchism and L
eftism  Date: 8/7/06 4:16:16 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ignoring the initial hyperbole we have:

"Israel signed a treaty with  Lebanon which required the removal of any
extra-governmental organizations from  Israelâs border.  Lebanon signed the
treaty.
 Israel returned  home.  Lebanon did not keep the treaty and allowed
Hezbollah to stay on  Israelâs border.  Israel did nothing until their border
was
breached."

Which treaty are you reffering to Lawrence? The one signed but  not
implemented in 1983? Israel eventually retreated in 2000 and a lot happened
between
those two dates. Do you really believe that Israel retreated as a result  of
signing the 1983 treaty?

Of more relevance is UN resolution 1559,  dating from 2004.

Until more information comes to light, I don't accept  that it was Israel's
border was breached. There remains the possibility that  Israel enacted the
initial incursion.

"And yet you feel a need to examine  Israelâs motives; but then so does every
good Islamist.  As the British  historian David Selbourne has so eloquently
written in The Losing Battle with  Islam, it is a common ploy with the
Islamists to attack someone and then blame  the attacked for the attack.  That
is
precisely what was done in the case  of the Hizbollah/Hamas attack on Israel."

Lawrence, you're being ignorant  yourself if you don't believe Israel has any
motive past defending itself. And  of course, you then go on to misreperesent
my position and that of the left in  assuming an alliance with Islamists. No
such alliance exists except in the  imagination of the US Right.

"You distrust Israel, the only Liberal  Democracy in the region and give the
benefit of doubt to a terrorist  organization.  Do I have that right?  I
thought so. "

No, yet  again you're willfully misrepresenting. Yes I distrust Israel, but
that doesn't  mean to say I 'prefer' a terrorist organisation. For one, I'm not
convinced  Hezbollah is a terrorist organisation - the EU agrees with me -
for another I'm  not so ignorant as to believe that Hezbollah is in all ways
bad. To turn your  criticism back on you, do you suspect Hezbollah of having
alterior motives in  providing social works to the local population.

Can Israel do no wrong in your eyes?

Picking out the odd comment  from the rest we have:

"Furthermore we should support any Liberal  Democracy that wants our help"

Brilliant Lawrence. Yet the US under Bush  imposes sanction on the
Palestinians for voting in the wrong party and you  couldn't give a toss about
the
declining value of Lebanese democracy in the face  of Israel's destruction of
the
country's infrastructure. The US under Bush  supports democracy providing it
agrees with the victor and is happy to support  dictatorships where the
dictator
is an ally. It's not about liberal democracy  Lawrence, it's about market
access.

More generally, you seem to think  that it's all or nothing; that if people
don't support the US under Bush then  they must be supporting the Islamists.
Sorry Lawrence, but that's rubbish. When  set against terrorism, Bush's
response
has been a strategy that has served to  create more islamists than have been
killed.

"If by scorn you mean my warning  that you are supporting an ideology that
considers the freedom you enjoy  anathema to it, consider scorn to have been
heaped."

Lawrence, I disagree in strong terms  with the policies of the US under Bush.
That does not mean I support  fundamentalist Islam in whatever form. I don't
even believe in god (for god's  sake).

Perhaps you could explain just how  my position on US policy equates to
supporting terrorist  organisations.

Simon