[lit-ideas] Re: Anarchism and Leftism

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 20:12:13 +0100

I seem to have touched a sore spot again Lawrence. No apologies.

1. I stand by my view that the US right has a methodology of attacking the left
rather than presenting its own ideology. I also believe that you have used the
same method.

2. I too support a nation's right to defend itself, but I'm not convinced that
Israel is engaged in such an activity. The story about a Hezbollah 'invasion'
now seems to be doubtful and it appears to be just as likely that an IDF
incursion resulted in eight killed and two captured inside the Lebanese border.
If this war did result from an Israeli incursion, then I see it as a war of
agression on the part of Israel.

3. If this is an aggressive war then we need to examine Israel's motives. Is it
about an expansion and annexation of Lebanese territorey up to the Litani
River? Or is it purely about removing the threat of Hezbollah?

4. The answers to those questions may arise through Israeli reaction/response
to the UN resolutions as they arise.

5. Fundamentally, I distrust Israel because it's stance on terrorism is
hypocritical considering its history. I also believe that it has used the
holocaust as an excuse for its actions and that it uses the label
'anti-semitic' as a blanket response to its critics.

6. As far as terrorism goes, I would personally shoot a person who I knew 100
per cent was about to commit a terrorist act (ie kill people). However, I also
believe that the actions of the US under Bush has served to increase the number
of terrorists; that the US under Bush has created enemies rather than
eliminating them and I believe that the US under Bush is using this 'war on
terrorism' to further an international agenda focussed on securing capital
markets and controlling energy resources.

Now, if you behave accordingly Lawrence, I expect you to misrepresent my points
so that you can pour scorn on 'the left'. Will you oblige?

Simon