[lit-ideas] Re: American poetic scene at the beginning of 72

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 14:59:45 -0700

Eric:  Are you saying other people agree with Mike?  I was hoping he was
just nuts.  The article Robert Paul posted,
http://www.newyorker.com/critics/books/articles/061009crbo_books1 , bears on
this in regard to Hart Crane.  Note on page 3 that Harriet Monroe of Poetry
magazine replied to a Crane submittal "with bewilderment, 'Take me for a
hard-boiled unimaginative unpoetic reader, and tell me how dice can bequeath
an embassy (or anything else); and how a calyx (of death's bounty or
anything else) can give back a scattered chapter, livid hieroglyph; and how,
if it does, such a portent can be wound in corridors (of shells or anything
else).  And so on.'

"The poet's reply, which is included in the Library of America volume, has
become a key document of poetic modernism.  Crane admitted that he was 'more
interested in the so-called illogical impingements of the connotations of
words on the consciousness . . . than I am interested in the preservation of
their logically rigid significations.'  What Monroe saw as nonsense Crane
insisted was a higher kind of sense.  He wrote, 'The nuances of feeling and
observation in a poem may well call for certain liberties which you claim
the poet has no right to take.  I am simply making the claim that the poet
does have that authority.'"

This is a slightly different problem than the one Mike presents, but it
seems to me related.  Crane reserves the right to write in accordance with a
design of his own which abjures logic.  I don't have too much of a problem
with the concept, and yet years ago I tried to like Crane's poetry and
failed.  Did his illogicality get in the way of my appreciation?  Was I
being like Harriet Monroe?  I don't recall.  Mike goes a step further than
Crane in reserving the right to be illogical in his understanding, that is,
he is insisting that his understanding need not be logically related to the
poem he is reading.  I have an image here of one of those modern dances.
There is the poet dancing with his poem, and Mike dances nearby in an
unrelated way.

"Hey Mike, Is what you are doing related to that poet over there or his
poem?"

"What, are you talking to me?" Mike answers in perplexity.  "What poet?
What poem? I have my own thing going on here and you are bothering me."

Lawrence