[lit-ideas] Re: American poetic scene at the beginning of 72

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 16:46:52 -0400

'Crane was almost unique in preferring to write while he was actually drunk.

Of course, one man's "drunk" is another's "mellow, peaceful, insightful existence". I doubt that anyone can write anything meaningful when truly blotto. Personally I can ONLY write poetry when I've been drinking. I simply don't have any inspiration when I'm completely straight. But, I also don't think Hart Crane was a very good poet, so maybe he was also MY definition of "drunk" when he wrote.

looking forward to 'tea' in a few moments,
maybe I'll write something tonight, but share it?
only if it's truly inspired. probably not,
I'm saving the single malt for a real occasion and a humpday just ain't cuttin it.

paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada