[linux-cirrus] Re: ep93xx-i2s ?

  • From: Ryan Mallon <ryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: john cooper <john.cooper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:42:33 +1300

john cooper wrote:
> Chase Douglas wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't mind helping you out if you are trying to get the stuff
>> upstream. I thought the ep93xx platform was mostly dead on linux, and
>> Lennert didn't seem to be able to get things upstream, so I just gave
>> up on it. Let me know if there's anything I can help with.
>
> Ugh.  Actually that was the larger question I had,
> namely the fate of the ep93xx linux port.  I have
> had a 93xx design sitting in mothballs for years
> and was looking to either send the PCB out or finally
> abandon it.  Unfortunately I have enough 93xx SoCs
> to build over 30 boards and didn't want to just toss
> them.  Rather I was thinking to donate the lot to a
> local university so some good would come out of that
> aging silicon -- assuming the present day remaining
> ep93xx port is sufficiently relevant.

This is a reasonable amount of support for the ep93xx in mainline now.
Drivers have been added recently for keypad, pwm, framebuffer, dma, etc.
There are patches currently on the ARM kernel list for an spi driver
which look like the are suitable for merging soon.

> At the risk of exhuming old ghosts, what was the snag
> with getting the work upstream?  I'm foggy but IIRC
> from when I followed it much more closely, Cirrus
> wasn't exactly proactive on the matter.  I also caught
> some comment of the 93xx EOL being announced but
> nothing conclusive to my knowledge.

I believe there was some fallout between Cirrus and Lennert a while
back. Cirrus logic were basically useless as far as support went, we
contacted them several times with issues and never got anywhere with
them. You are correct that the ep93xx line is now end of life, Cirrus
Logic decided to abandon the ARM market. We are still keen to get better
support in the mainline since there are a number of ep93xx based boards
around.

~Ryan

--
Bluewater Systems Ltd - ARM Technology Solution Centre

Ryan Mallon                     5 Amuri Park, 404 Barbadoes St
ryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx           PO Box 13 889, Christchurch 8013
http://www.bluewatersys.com     New Zealand
Phone: +64 3 3779127            Freecall: Australia 1800 148 751
Fax:   +64 3 3779135                      USA 1800 261 2934