[Linux-Anyway] Re: Printer, Samba & W2k

  • From: Scott Robbins <scottro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 16:59:53 -0500

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 01:36:59PM -0800, Meph Istopheles wrote:

> > >   Wow.  Thought you ran away;-).
>
> > Work and life have both been pretty horrendous--this happens to
> > be a brief boring time.
>
>   Havn't had any of those for a long time;-).

One should have work, not so sure about a life.

> > that is, the user's general login password, are the same. Of
> > course, I'm working with Cups which has its own peculiarities,
> > so not sure how universal this is.
>
>   What I've found is that both lpd & cups suck.  Sometimes they
> work, other times they don't.  Worse, I don't always get any
> errors to work with.

Yes, the CUPS howto primarily gives you what info to send to a mailing
list and tells you how revealing the log is--sometimes, however, it is,
I've had the log say, perhaps you need to add ghostscript which would
fix some problems.

>   I'd set up my printer with RH printtool & everything seemed
> fine, but no print.  I then installed both samba & cups but
> couldn't even get cups to work, let alone to work from another
> 'puter on the network (samba wasn't cooperating either).

In most versions of Samba, you have to specify CUPS as the printer.  In
CUPS, with its heightened security, you have to deal with the Allow
Deny stuff too.

>   I then removed cups & reset (& did some manual editing) lpd to
> handle printing.  This time it worked.  Then, sick of finding all
> the samba docs indicating I've set it up properly yet still
> getting no connection, I installed webmin, played with the samba
> config in there & have all my M$ 'puters on a private network
> able to connect ~&~ print to the Linux printer.
>
>   Maybe you could try fooling with webmin....

Right now, I have everything working, both at work and at home. I'm not
really against Webmin, especially for setting up DHCP servers, which
take a lot of typing.  Just, that I have found it buggy at times.

Samba, I'm very used to setting up in text mode, so that one isn't
really an issue.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Willow: So, how did it go?
Xander: On a scale from one to ten? It sucked.