[Linux-Anyway] Re: Printer, Samba & W2k

  • From: Meph Istopheles <meph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Linux-Anyway@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 13:36:59 -0800 (PST)

> >   Wow.  Thought you ran away;-).

> Work and life have both been pretty horrendous--this happens to
> be a brief boring time.

  Havn't had any of those for a long time;-).

> > > Boy what a stupid thing to do.  :)  Of course, I won't
> > > mention how it took me three days to figure that out with
> > > Naoko's Mac.

> >   Thanks.  I thought so too.  But I think it was more her
> > password.  I've got her connected via my login & password &
> > turned off access to my home directory.  At the moment, she's
> > only got access to my /backup where the mp3's are & to the
> > printer.  I've reset her password & plan to test it again
> > later.

> One thing I've been finding lately--seems that I'm having
> trouble with Samba unless the smbpasswd and the login password,
> that is, the user's general login password, are the same. Of
> course, I'm working with Cups which has its own peculiarities,
> so not sure how universal this is.

  What I've found is that both lpd & cups suck.  Sometimes they
work, other times they don't.  Worse, I don't always get any
errors to work with.

  I'd set up my printer with RH printtool & everything seemed
fine, but no print.  I then installed both samba & cups but
couldn't even get cups to work, let alone to work from another
'puter on the network (samba wasn't cooperating either).

  I then removed cups & reset (& did some manual editing) lpd to
handle printing.  This time it worked.  Then, sick of finding all
the samba docs indicating I've set it up properly yet still
getting no connection, I installed webmin, played with the samba
config in there & have all my M$ 'puters on a private network
able to connect ~&~ print to the Linux printer.

  Maybe you could try fooling with webmin....

  Meph

--
  Lieberman's Law:
  Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens.