[liblouis-liblouisxml] Highlight liblouis features in the intro text

  • From: Christian Egli <christian.egli@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml <liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 16:50:58 +0100

Hi all

I was talking to a major Braille software vendor last week and they were
telling me all the great features that their software has. That got me
thinking that many if not all these features are also supported by
liblouis and liblouisxml. These features should probably be mentioned a
bit more prominently on the web site. There is no need to hide our
capabilities :-). So I drafted up the following replacement text for the
front page of the liblouis Google code page (and this could probably
also be added at the top of the README file):

-------------------
Liblouis is an open-source braille translator and back-translator. It
features support for computer and literary braille, supports
contracted and uncontracted translation for many, many languages
(Arabic, Armenian, Bulgarian, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch,
English, Esperanto, Estonian, Finish, French, Gaelic, German, Greek,
Icelandic, Italian, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese,
Romanian, Russian, Slovakian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Vietnamese,
Welsh) and has support for hyphenation. New languages can easily be
added through tables that support a rule- or dictionary based
approach. Liblouis also supports math braille (Nemeth and Marburg).
The formatting of braille is provided by the companion project
liblouisxml.

liblouis is based on the translation routines in the BRLTTY
screenreader for Linux. It has, however, gone far beyond these
routines. It is named in honor of Louis Braille. In Linux and Mac OSX
it is a shared library, and in Windows it is a DLL.

Any thoughts on this?

Swiss Library for the Blind and Visually Impaired