[liblouis-liblouisxml] Bible in braille (Was: Re: Message that should have gone to the list: [john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Re: Re: Is liblouis capable of preparing the Norwegian bible for embossing?])

  • From: lars@xxxxxxxxxxx (Lars Bjørndal)
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 20:51:05 +0100

Hi, John and all!

First, I'm sorry that I started out the discussion outside the list. It
was because I sent I file privately to John, and that file should not be
published.

Thanks to all who has answered on this topic.

Paul Wood wrote:

> I presume you are not trying to also format the UBS way with verse
> numbers on a left hand column, as this is definately beyond anything
> I have seen that hasn't been specifically written for Bible
> formatting.

I don't know the UBS abbreviation. Anyway, I think this is what we would
like to do. Let me give an example. Please note that the period sign in
the sample is to mark a new verse, and the apostrophe is capital sign
(German braille character set):

#a 'in the beginning was the
   'word, and the 'word was
   with 'god, and the 'word
 b was 'god. .'he was with
   'god in the beginning.
 c   'through him all things
   were made; without him
   nothing was made that has
 d been made. .'in him was
   life, and that life was the
 e light of men. .'the light
   shines in the darkness, but
   the darkness has not under-
   stood it.
 f   .'there came a man who
   was sent from 'god; his
 g name was 'john. .'he came
   as a witness to testify
   concerning that light, so
   that through him all men
 h might believe. .'he himself
   was not the light; he came
'john #a,a-h                #a

Here you can see that only the chapter has a number sign. Verse numbers
are written without preceding number sign. Also note the indents that
indicates a new paragraph. At the end of a verse, the translator has to
determine if there is room for some words of the next verse at the same
line (except if a new paragraph starts).

Do you think that liblouisutdml could be capable of doing this job?

Thanks and regards,
Lars