[LRflex] Re: question for Ted Grant or anyone if they know the answer

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 09:34:28 -0800

Marc Dufour offered in response:
Subject: [LRflex] Re: question for Ted Grant or anyone if they know the
answer

>>A fine sentence, but I only can disagree with it.

BTW, I think the B&W is often use as an easy way to achieve a more dramatic
result.<<<<

Marc,

It would be a terribly boring world if we all agreed with each other. :-)

I speak purely from experience of published work and that of others.

For example in London UK. A couple of lads who owned a fairly successful
portrait studio found their appointments were sagging and decided on a bold
new venture. "No more colour portraits, B&W only."

Renovated the studio and when it re-opened they had 30X40 B&W portraits in
the shop windows. Gorgeous Karsh like lit photos. And a big sign, "Show your
inner self that only B&W can do." They refused to shoot colour even when
customers asked. Then convinced many to have it shot in B&W which the
clients were thrilled with the results. Then bought more prints. That's the
idea when one runs a portrait studio or any business.

In less than three months their business doubled and they couldn't handle
all the work without long wait times.

So not only was this a smashing success of B&W over colour in portraiture,
it was their ability to use light beautifully to bring out the character of
the subject.

Actually look at the portraits by Karsh. His B&W's are so powerful because
of the lighting and no colour detracting from the subject.

I think what you're missing in my quotation is B&W can be far more dramatic
than colour under most cases.

For example, the child sitting on the railway tracks during the bombing and
rape of Nanking, China. Colour would've destroyed the impact by taking away
from the stark B&W crying child image.

The war images of David Douglas Duncan from Korea and Viet Nam. Although I
feel his photos from Korea far surpassed those of Viet Nam.

I look at the colour work from Iraq and it's like looking at a tv movie, yep
it's powerful but always seems to have a "Hollywood created" look to it.
News or otherwise.

But take some of those images and turn them into B&W where you are looking
at the graphic content only and they become very strong emotionally moving
images. Simply because there isn't any colour to distract from the content.

Your comment:

>> BTW, I think the B&W is often use as an easy way to achieve a more
dramatic result.<<<<

Well I don't know about it being easier in any form, but it certainly is
right there in your face without any fancy coloured gowns or walls creating
the picture.

So I think we'll close with, we'll agree to disagree. Thank you.

ted

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Marc/People+I/Absorption.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Marc/People+I/Farmer+in+Rajastan.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Marc/People+II/Good+friends.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Marc/People+II/Men+at+work+I.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Marc/People+II/Jaipur+faces.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Marc/People+III/Country+girl.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Marc/People+III/Mother_s+pride.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Marc/People+IV/Charming+people.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Marc/People+IV/Intensity.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Marc/People+IV/Ivana.jpg.html

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Marc/People+IV/Not+a+common+face.jpg.html

I hope the colours and clothes don't prevent to perceive their soul...

Best regards,

Marc