[LRflex] Re: question for Ted Grant or anyone if they know the answer

  • From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Marc Dufour <foto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, LRF <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 11:06:31 -0700

On Dec 19, 2007, at 7:36 AM, Marc Dufour wrote:

Hello, Steve !

First of all, I've got to admit I'm delighted with your B&W version! Very well done ! BTW, I really admire the B&W work of many masters (HCB, SS, Lucien Clergue and others) and from some Leica buddies (as Stefan Rohner: http://galleries.lfi-online.com/index.php?exhibition=22)

of course, certainly no surprise to me...as I would expect, to help you see what you see...

At the time, I could hardly dissociate the "soul" from the physical world, which includes the colour... Talking about soul, some creeds consider the human being as a whole, and even the colour as a feature of the own soul (aura). Further away our skin, we choose colours to cover/unveil our body, as does the man of this picture himself.

I understand, and in that sense even the clothing we select and wear is a part of the soul...

... Without any doubt, each colour he leaves has a specific sens for him. Taking away the colour, don't we capture "our" own vision of "his" soul ?

and further, even with color, we capture our own vision of his soul...

and since a photo is always a selection of reality, it always reflects our vision of reality, more than reality itself...

Cheers, and thanks a lot for your interest, I'm very grateful with your participation here.

my pleasure to be able to be a participant.. especially as I am a scientist, physician... and not an artist...

Steve

Marc

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Barbour" <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
Date: December 19, 2007 5:11:32 AM GMT-07:00
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRflex] Re: question for Ted Grant or anyone if they know
the answer

On Dec 19, 2007, at 12:36 AM, Marc Dufour wrote:

Ted,

A fine sentence, but I only can disagree with it.
BTW, I think the B&W is often use as an easy way to achieve a more
dramatic result.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Marc/People+I/Absorption.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Marc/People+I/Farmer+in+Rajastan.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Marc/People+II/Good +friends.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Marc/People+II/Men+at+work
+I.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Marc/People+II/Jaipur +faces.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Marc/People+III/Country
+girl.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Marc/People+III/Mother_s+pride.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Marc/People+IV/Charming+people.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Marc/People+IV/Intensity.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Marc/People+IV/Ivana.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Marc/People+IV/Not+a+common+face.jpg.html

I hope the colours and clothes don't prevent to perceive their
soul...

I looked at these once again, though most I have already seen...
just beautiful....it's even hard to select a favorite or two...

but your work is so sensuous, and so about the color,  that I
feel... the color itself in fact, does interfere with appreciation
of the soul that is present in most of these,

Steve

Best regards,
Marc