[LRFlex] UV Filters

  • From: "Merritt, Robert" <Robert.Merritt@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:49:41 -0400

Call me hopelessly Philistine, but I think a UV filter won't degrade an image
in any noticeable amount 1) if you aren't making huge enlargements or 2) any
more than hand-holding does.  I don't know what to think about that quote from
Leica posted earlier about UV filters introducing an excessively warm tone; I
don't think that's true for modern filters, and in any event if you're shooting
black & white or color prints any such effect either won't show up or can be
compensated for in the print.

That said, I would avoid UV filters that aren't multi-coated.  (I've seen study
results showing that the big difference is coated vs. uncoated; multicoating
only adds slight additional benefit.  However, I think the additional benefit
is worth it.)  But the problem I have is that I've only got old 2-cam lenses
that take series filters; does anybody even make MC series filters?  I don't
think the Leica series filters were multicoated.  I hope I'm wrong.

I would be interested in the opinions of this group generally about
UV/skylight/protective filters.  I know the Leica mantra about filters, at
least on the M side of the house, has historically been that filters degrade
the image and so you don't use them unless you seek a specific effect.  I think
that's doctrinaire -- as I said above, depending on your shooting conditions
and choice of film, I really doubt you'll see a difference attributable to the
filter.  (Sure, shooting into the sun can cause ghosting -- but that's true
whether you've got a filter on or not.)

Nick

NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail message is
confidential and intended only for certain recipients.  If you are not an
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, reproduction,
distribution or other use of this communication and any attachments is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify
the sender by reply transmission and delete the message without copying or
disclosing it.