[LRflex] Re: Kaufmann Interview

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 06:39:57 -0700

Charlie Falke offered:

   A 4/3 would sell to high end consumers, but A 4/3 will have a
hard time competing against larger Nikon and Canon iron,
in the professional market. (remember what everybody was using
at the Rugby game.)
   He seems to have abandoned that market.
   Given the market performance of previous Leica R's, this is
not an unrealistic viewpoint.  It's still very disappointing.

Good Morning, Charlie!

I don't think Kaufmann has abandoned the pro market. I think this is more a case of whatever they have designed being late ... and not ready for Photokina. In an interview I read recently, he said something about "at Photokina we'd get an idea of where they are heading". (Not an exact quote.) Meaning, of course, that the R10 is not ready for introduction.

I think this may have a lot to do with pixel count. If they were heading for an R10 in the 20+mpixel range, then Canon is already there ... although at Leica prices. A bigger threat is Sony, who recently announced a 24+ mpixel, full frame CMOS sensor and according to the Rangefinder magazine just received, are expected to introduce it in a camera at Photokina and have it on the market by years end. Expected price? Around $3000 US, or some $5000 below the Canon. This alters the equation of what Leica must do to capture the pro market, and they may have felt compelled to change some of the design (at least, as pertaining to the sensor) mid-stream.... which would cause delays.

As for 4/3rds not appealing to pros? Ask Gary Todoroff about that. And Howard did say he saw one E3 in the hands of a pro at the rugby games.... There is more to a camera than pixel count, and I can see many pros finding the E3 and other FourThirds dSLRs very appealing for many uses.

As Andy said, Hr. Kaufmann is, indeed, playing his cards close to his vest!