[LRflex] Re: Future R system

  • From: Gary E <ge_crocus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Leica Reflex <LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 23:06:08 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Axel,

I have been waiting for some time for Leica to produce their somewhat promised
Leica R digital solution.  But to look at it truthfully, if there is no
offering
at the next Photokina I too agree with David that the system is dead.
Unfortunately I also feel that this is what Leica wanted us to do in the first
place.  They didn't want to invest more into an old lens system and had hoped
that Leica buyer's had deep enough pockets to buy into their new S line.  The
S2
seems like a fantastic camera only I don't want to mortgage anything to get it;
or any digital solution for that matter (unless making $$$ from it).

Now I've never tried the DSLR route with the accompanying adapters, but I might
attempt it with the Sony Nex-5 along side with M mount lenses as well.  I am
coming down to my last 98 rolls of film in the freezer and will probably stop
(or at least slow to a crawl) using film as it has recently become quite
inconvenient to buy and use for me.

Related to your first question is the what's truely sad is the R lenses are
really good in optical quality and constructed quite well compared to anything
else out there.  I find their last ROM released lenses quite exceptional.  As
for the rest, there are really no low grade lenses maybe with the exception of
the Minolta/Sigma designed offerings; though I've never tried any and only say
so through from what I've read.

I will use my R system till the last roll of film is sold.

Regards,
Gary E

Previously from David------------------------------

Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 00:16:31 -0700
From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: Future R system

At 12:01 AM 05/08/2010, you wrote:
>Another thing that has been discussed plenty here is the future of
>the R system. Sorry but i dont have the time to read everything, so :
>Can you guys tell me what the latest situation is on this ? I dont
>want to start some discussion here, just want to know (in short) the
>facts. Thank you and greetings !

Hi Axel!

The facts are that Leica have announced that there will be no
successor in the R line.  All their remaining stock has been sold
off, at bargain rates, and is available through a small number of retailers.

There is to be an "adequate solution" for we who own R glass, but it
is now a couple of years, with no solution in sight, rumoured or announced.

If there is no "adequate solution" for R users announced at the
upcoming Photokina, you can probably assume that the R is a dead
end.  Sad, but true.

And that's about it.

All of this, of course, has led to a large number of people putting
Leitax mounts on their R glass and moving to Pentax, Nikon, etc.  Of
course, R glass can also be used on Canon and Olympus (4-Thirds &
Micro 4 Thirds) cameras, via adapters.  All of these solutions are
stop-down metering only, but otherwise quite successful.   YMMV.

Cheers!

David Young - Photographer
Logan Lake, BC,  Canada

Wildlife & Sports: www.furnfeather.net