[LRflex] Re: Future R system

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 22:29:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Axel"red",
   I saw the following lines in one of your posts and I felt compelled to pipe
up and add my two cents worth.
"Maybee i will get me a 50mm to go with my R3, or maybee i get  the R8 ? Or
maybee i will get a M6 ... Or maybee  i will get some lessons and learn more
before i buy more stuff"
   Get lessons! Learn More! If you have to choose between 'more gear' and
'learning to run your gear', CHOOSE Learning :-). There is a freedom and a joy
in knowing the 'fundamental' principles and processes that underpin the
'technologies' we use to capture the photons making up the images we seek.
  Whether it's in a classroom somewhere or figuring it out on your own, I
highly
recommend tackling the following:
Learn how a light meter works, learn about exposure reciprocity, what 18% grey
is, how to get the colors you 'see' or 'want' without 'auto white balance"
engaged, how to factor film/sensor sensitivity choices into getting the
exposure
settings you need or want. Best of all, how aperture and shutter speed are key
parts in a photographer's creative toolbox.

I consider 'Photography' to be an odd little creative artform in that unlike a
painter, a sculptor, or cartoonist, the tools we use offer a fair bit of help
getting 'usable' images in fairly short order. There are shortcuts available to
learning the craft of photography and  still arriving at satisfying images.
Learning The Craft Of Photography is a powerful way to free oneself from Gear
Chasing. It also helps you to know which Gear you Want, rather than which gear
you think you need to fix this or that gap in one's knowledge of the craft!

An example is learning your favorite images come with a moderate Tele shooting
around f5.6 in a fair bit of sunlight.

An 90mm Elmarit 2.8 will get the job done wonderfully well and a Summilux 90mm
would be an obscenely expensive optic that you can pass up knowing the Elmarit
90 is a killer lens and doesn't give much ground to any lens shooting at a
middle aperture.
(This is a Bit of an over simplification so be careful how far you push the
concept, but a workable analogy I think. The idea is to know what bits you
'need' and avoid buying gear that just costs you money without adding to your
'photography'.).

Knowing the exposures you use, the exposures you want, and the gear to get em
is
a wonderful wonderful thing.

Peace
Richard in Michigan

"There is a joy in taking photographs that will always be there, it is the joy
of looking, of capturing that fraction of a second, it is the photographic
shot,
the intuitive shot..." (Henri Cartier-Bresson)

â??No man hath given his child anything better than good manners.â??
- Prophet Muhammad (570-632)