[LRflex] Re: Future R system

  • From: Robert Lilley <speyerdom@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 10:05:23 -0400

Alex,
I have been caught up in the Medium Format/Large Format debate as well.  I own
several MF and LF cameras.  I have lugged all this equipment about in the
field.  Its not only about cameras and lenses, its also about getting a large
camera and it's film to the scene and keeping it motionless when you get there.
 I have invested quite a bit of money in tripods, heads, backpacks and other
ancillary equipment to do this.  Every time I am in the field I am reminded of
this 1950's film about a bunch of peasants who drag this huge canon over hill
and dale to attack a fort.  I have  invested in a large darkroom that can
handle up to 5x7" without a problem.  But...

I am starting to wonder if it is really worth it after seeing the pictures
taken with R cameras by this group.  I have come to the conclusion that its not
about negative size.  It is all about the quality of the lens and tripping the
shutter at the right place and time.   I have only a R4 and a Summicron 2.8
50mm at this point.  This combination takes wonderful pictures.  I am seriously
thinking about selling all my LF and MF kit and buying a complete Leica R
system.

Question is, what do I buy?  Hmmm...

Rob

------------------------------

From: "Axel Collier" <axel.collier@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Leica or MF
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 08:48:58 +0200

The other day I had this discussion with a friend. He claimed that all the
debate about the different brands (Nikon/Canon/Leica ...) were about details,
that you can only improve image quality really by upgrading to Medium Format (i
know, and by getting a better photographer ;-)  ) . What do you guys think
about that ?
Would it still be worthwhile to invest in MF since prices have dropped so
dramatically ? An old RB or even Rollei 6000 can be had on bay for a fraction
of what they used to cost. I have lately been playing more with film again, so
i was wondering if i would invest a little in another lens for my R3, or even a
M6 or would invest in MF. I know, these are wild thoughts, hope you can forgive
me for that ;-)
greetings, Axel