[LRflex] Re: Billboards - Take Two

  • From: Aram Langhans <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 20:49:06 -0700

Different approach, and pretty nice. But, how about after the sun has set and maybe some lights are on in the town so you can see it, or maybe the sunrise so the town is lit by the sun instead of being lost in the shadows.

Just tossing out ideas. I like that you thought of including the town in with the lake.

Aram

-----Original Message----- From: David Young
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:23 PM
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRflex] Re: Billboards - Take Two

Peter:

David:  What makes a good billboard is different from an art photograph.
I like the sunset shot the best. As Ted says, right now the flashed
chair stripes grab your eyes and won't let go.  Maybe you need chairs
that would look good in silhouette.  But what I really wish is that the
two guys in the boat were in the sunset scene.  I think the sunset scene
works best for two reasons:

* It actually shows Logan Lake, it's not just some generic shot of water
with no surroundings to identify it. * Sunsets are a cliche, but they're
a nice cliche.

I agree...  I liked the deck chairs/sunset shot, but not the flash.  So I
swapped it for another similar shot, taken seconds before, without the flash.
It's better, I think,  but still too "dark" for billboard use.

So I went ti the other side of the lake, the other night, and took one more
(Oh, heck ... I took dozens, but the second was the one that did it!) shot, in
the hopes of catching a nice sunset, over the town.

The idea is to convey the tranquility of Logan Lake. I'm not sure a bench is as inviting as a deck chair (Bob might disagree!), but the hope is the viewer will imagine him/her self in the chairs or on the bench, enjoying the sunset. I think this exposure/saturation etc., better for billboard use than the other
sunset shots.

When you peek, remember that the wording is just a suggestion of where it might
be placed, for the benefit of Council members, who will make the final
decision.  I am merely the photographer, not the graphic artist!

Still, I think this the best of the lot, so far -- at the bottom of the page.

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/BB1.html

Your mileage may differ, which is why I'm asking people's opinions, here.

I put up a shot from Lake Crescent a couple of days ago. Nobody here has
commented on it, but I keep coming back to it as one of the best shots
of my vacation. Maybe this kind of "feel" would work for your billboard--

Yes... I like the 'feel" of that shot, too.  But, of course the wrong aspect
ratio for billboard use.

just get a friend or two into a boat at sunset, and get them in
silhouette at the right moment.

We may yet do that!!!

Thanks for taking the time to look and comment.

David.