[LRflex] Re: Billboards - Take Two

  • From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 00:01:22 -0700

David: What makes a good billboard is different from an art photograph. I like the sunset shot the best. As Ted says, right now the flashed chair stripes grab your eyes and won't let go. Maybe you need chairs that would look good in silhouette. But what I really wish is that the two guys in the boat were in the sunset scene. I think the sunset scene works best for two reasons:

* It actually shows Logan Lake, it's not just some generic shot of water with no surroundings to identify it.
* Sunsets are a cliche, but they're a nice cliche.

I put up a shot from Lake Crescent a couple of days ago. Nobody here has commented on it, but I keep coming back to it as one of the best shots of my vacation. Maybe this kind of "feel" would work for your billboard--just get a friend or two into a boat at sunset, and get them in silhouette at the right moment. When I took the photo below, I'd burned off several frames just to have the scene. But I was really waiting for the canoe to get into the right position before that magic shaft of light faded out. Fortunately, the gods were with me, and the canoeists crossed the spot I wanted just in time.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/OlympicNP080512/P1070076-copyr.jpg.html>

(As I told the waitress as I dashed from the lodge dining room, "For light like that you interrupt dinner.")

--Peter