Re: Pond Hockey

  • From: Mark Bohrer <lurchl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 11:49:02 -0800

At 07:28 AM 1/17/2007, you wrote:
Mark Bohrer wrote:
<snip>

PH-5 is what I've come to call a 'butt' shot - the subject is leaving action that's already happened. I don't feel any tension here either, and feel like I've missed the action implied by the unsharp puck and red goal marker.

Perhaps you prefer http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/PH-8.htm ?

I like it much better! Still a little tight on the top, but overall better composition. And I see Sherwood's still making hockey sticks...

<snip>
When I shot my first mountain bike race with a motorized Canon F1n and manual-focus FD lenses many years ago, I prefocused on a difficult point in the course where racers would jump, maneuver or crash.

Much easier to do, with bike races... for you know the route and know where they will be. With hockey, you never know where the puck will go. You might prefocus on a spot and watch an entire game with not one shot. Thus, I tried to "follow focus" and fire when things looked 'good'. Because the puck moves so fast, and human reaction times are what they are, you end up with shots like PH-1.

You know players will try to score at close distances to the goal, so some shots could be pre-focused there. Otherwise, I agree, follow-focusing is the only strategy.

What happens when the pick gets shot into the snow around the rink? How is play restarted?

Mark Bohrer
Wildlife Photography on the Urban Edge
www.mountain-and-desert.com