Re: Pond Hockey

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 07:28:04 -0800

Mark Bohrer wrote:

Thanks for a reminder of my young days as a defenseman. It's gratifying to still see wooden sticks, but Northland no longer makes the curved-blade Custom Pros I used to use.

My favorite image is PH-3 for its subject placement, expression and focus on the puck. I also like the girl's face and the way the sticks frame her in PH-4. Both are very nice.

Thanks.

The puck is almost out of the frame in PH-1, and it's far enough away from the chasing forward that I don't feel a good connection or tension between the two.

In PH-2, my eye sees too many heads and hands beneath a puck that's a bit high in the sky. (I know timing for sports shots is difficult from photographing bike races.)

PH-5 is what I've come to call a 'butt' shot - the subject is leaving action that's already happened. I don't feel any tension here either, and feel like I've missed the action implied by the unsharp puck and red goal marker.

Perhaps you prefer http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/PH-8.htm ?

If you hadn't told me, I wouldn't have known it was a four-on-four game with no goalie. A wider establishing shot at a face-off near a goal would introduce the story better.

I agree, a face-off shot would be nice... if the game had face-offs! With pond hockey, you work with what they do.

When I shot my first mountain bike race with a motorized Canon F1n and manual-focus FD lenses many years ago, I prefocused on a difficult point in the course where racers would jump, maneuver or crash.

Much easier to do, with bike races... for you know the route and know where they will be. With hockey, you never know where the puck will go. You might prefocus on a spot and watch an entire game with not one shot. Thus, I tried to "follow focus" and fire when things looked 'good'. Because the puck moves so fast, and human reaction times are what they are, you end up with shots like PH-1.

Even with prefocusing, I still missed a lot of shots. So I applaud your good results with manual focusing and a quick game!

Thanks. About 35 of the better shots were shown at the tournament dinner on Saturday night. All were very well received (many calls of "Awesome!", etc.) by the players. That, for me, is what counted.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Cheers!
---

David Young,