Re: Leica at the crossroads: a photographer's perspective

  • From: Mark Bohrer <lurchl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 16:01:36 -0700

Mark:
Thanks for looking at my website, and your positive comments.

I spent this morning behind the camera with young egrets, night herons and stilts at the rookery at Palo Alto Baylands, as I do weekly at this time of year. That time's resulted in some editorial and print sales of images like this: http://tinyurl.com/4knv5. And this: http://tinyurl.com/9jlym

It *is* about camera time with some of my favorite people - birds and mammals go about their interesting business whether we watch or not, and I feel privileged to capture the behavioral antics they share with me. I only hope enough other people look at images of egrets hunting sushi in the pink light of the evening http://tinyurl.com/4fner or ground squirrels dancing http://tinyurl.com/8ec7v or bison fighting http://tinyurl.com/6vkff and decide they're worth saving a place for.

Some on these lists have noticed my tendency to use glass 400mm or longer. (Mountain bike races require anything from 21mm to 200mm with occasional 400mm, and I've used 12mm to 400mm at airshows.) I do use Leica glass, but usually when I'm travelling light. Here's UCI world slalom champ Wade Bootes winning the last-ever NORBA dual slalom in 2002 with a 21mm Elmarit on an M6 TTL: http://tinyurl.com/az8r9

And I've sold prints from these Leica images:
http://tinyurl.com/arn2a
http://tinyurl.com/akzyn
http://tinyurl.com/ck6hh

I have been guilty of love of gear - Harry Stern once called me a collector when I acquired a Minolta 16 II and Minox B from his used department to add to a Bolex H16, 42mm thread-mount Contax with non-return mirror and Zeiss Jena lenses. Stern's Camera's 20% store discount for employees was hard to pass up.

Latest and greatest gear as an excuse to sell out of a system? Nope, I sold out of Canon FD when I started losing shots at bike races due to manual focus. I sold my Nikon gear to help pay for Canon digital EOS equipment because the EOS stuff presented the best tools for the wildlife job as I see it. I'd long since stopped using my M3 and only bought more Leica M gear for available darkness and people. I spent too much for the use I give it, but there've been a few weddings and portraits it's worked well for.

The digital gear saves me time, the most precious commodity I have. I don't miss all those hours I spent with loupe and slides on a light table.

Some folks have made saleable, no, outstanding images with Yashica MAT-124's or Canon F1N's or Leica II's. It's about what moves you and what you're comfortable with, but also which tools are the best for your art. There'll always be people making excellent Leica images when it suits their subjects and their own strengths and preferences.

During 25 years designing chips for National, AMD, Linear Technology and others, I saw (and worked on) products beautifully engineered in spite of management or the original product specification. It's too bad engineers and their managers don't get much public recognition.

No, Leica's not dead. I hope they find their way out of their current financial troubles and learn to create great products in the time frame today's market demands. Though a return to engineering would nauseate me for a variety of reasons, it did teach me that a great product late to market may as well not get to market at all. Most folks will have already bought something else, and you're left with a big investment in design, test and manufacturing time and money, and no sales or profits. And that's a poor strategy for business survival.

If your company doesn't survive, your products never reach the hands of the customer, no matter how good they are. And your old products eventually disappear when customers can't get them repaired. Nothing is forever. That can be good for evolving better products, though it's hard to give up some attachments.

At 11:41 PM 5/19/2005, you wrote:

Great shots on your site Mark! Birds and mammals and planes!
All taken with longer than 200mm glass it seems to me. Seems to average at
around 300mm!
Not one shot looks like anything resembling a job for a Rangefinder system.
Do we find the sparkling 'fingerprint' of Leica images anywhere on your
site?
I'll check out of Leica M if I were you. Why hang on?
You may love the tools but they are there to do a job.
But there are times when the tools are just fine.

But just a little quibble with semantics...
When you discover a new subject matter for your photos your present camera
or entire camera system does not "die".
The prints it helped create for you don't not instantly fade at that point.
The gear itself does not loose it's ability to crate viable images.
What happened to put it bluntly is you got bored with them and you had the
spare cash to be able to trade them in.
for the up to the minute stuff.
There's a feeling that it's impossible to make photographs with less then
what is felt to be up the minute gear but the fact is your cameras are doing
just fine. As are one would think the entire body of work you did with
them... Remaining quite viable.

Did the shots photographers started doing with VR lenses and Canons and
digital put what came before them in the dust? Did they have to throw them
out?
I think in comparision some of those prints still looked ok.
I think the history of bird and mammal and dirt bike photography imagery did
not change all that drastically VISUALLY. There were come issues of
convenience. Some ease technically.
The emphasis to me is on the prints. Not the gear.

Did you have to throw away all your non ant vibration and digital images
because the stuff you are not doing because of technological innovation is
putting them to shame? I think not.
I think though its natural for newer stuff to start replacing older stuff as
you get better as a photographer and just have more to choose from.
Boy the gear I've acquired in the past decade! Sure has not put much of a
dent in my portfolio.  My camera bags look a lot different but my portfolio
stays pretty much the same!
That is 12 best shots taken since 1965. Or my 20 best. Or 50 best.

I think if you stuck with Leica M, Mark B. you'd not have a wildlife
website.
But all this other stuff just seems like love of gear. Not love of
photography.
I don't know what your prints look like but your images on your website
looks real nice on my screen.
I guess this is where I overstate my point but I think they'd have to look
even nicer if you were spending more time out in a blind and less time
inside at the terminal scouring the internet for the very latest high tech
gear to give you an excuse to sell off an entire system for.

>From where I sit Wildlife photography is like flying small planes.
It's all about putting the time in.
Flight time. Blind time. Same thing.

It's certainly weird that I should perhaps seem to take it almost personally
when I see on the internet people dismissing Nikon or Canon FD or
whatever... Speed Graphic - as "Dead" or whatever or in effect. I think the
geniuses who design and engineer these marvels if I was in the position to
bring them in coffee in a tray I'd be lucky. I'm sure I'd be low on the
waiting list.
I just hope that my commitment to my craft comes close to equaling theirs.
And I don't think it does. But I'm working on it.

I'm just wondering if ever I've made an image which is as beautiful as a
Leica MP itself! :)

Mark Rabiner Photography Portland Oregon http://rabinergroup.com/

Mark Bohrer
Mountain and Desert Photography
www.mountain-and-desert.com
Subscribe to my free newsletter for wildlife photo tips and print discounts!
And see my show at REI Coop in Saratoga - images at www.mountain-and-desert.com/west.htm