Re: Leica at the crossroads: a photographer's perspective

  • From: Mark Bohrer <lurchl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 13:59:20 -0700

Mark:
I worked for Harry at Stern's Camera in Winnetka part-time for six years, including when I was a high school student at New Trier West and home from vacations my first couple years at University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana.

At 10:43 PM 5/19/2005, you wrote:

On 5/17/05 10:42 PM, "Mark Bohrer" <lurchl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> typed:

> I found a Leica M3 in my parent's basement one summer day in 1967. Dad said
> my grandfather bought it in Heidelberg in 1954 along with a 50mm Summarit,
> 35mm Summaron and 135mm Hektor. Dad also said I could use it.
>
> When I took it to local Stern's Camera and Sound Center to buy film for it,
> owner Harry Stern offered me a job as a stock boy. I was 12, and Harry
> Stern's son Michael had yet to write his restaurant directory "Road Food".

Not Stern's in Winnetka?

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/

Mark Bohrer
Mountain and Desert Photography
www.mountain-and-desert.com
Subscribe to my free newsletter for wildlife photo tips and print discounts!
And see my show at REI Coop in Saratoga - images at www.mountain-and-desert.com/west.htm