Re: Leica at the crossroads: a photographer's perspective

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: The LEG <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 23:40:04 -0700

On 5/20/05 1:59 PM, "Mark Bohrer" <lurchl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> typed:

> Mark:
> I worked for Harry at Stern's Camera in Winnetka part-time for six years,
> including when I was a high school student at New Trier West and home from
> vacations my first couple years at University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana.

Well your name sure sounded familiar I guess.
I was in the class of 69 of New Trier West and lived a block away on
Riverside Drive.
I've got Doug and Bruce Bohrer in my 68 yearbook.
You may have known Bill Rosauer who also worked under Harry probably around
then.
I went to Sterns about every Saturday in the 60's. Hang out until they
kicked me out.
I went back 20 years later and they moved it where that Electro something
camera store on the other side of the tracks used to be.
I remember Vose Bootery and Betty's of Winnetka and Fells.
They were closing Betty's while I was visiting.
That most have been there 60 years.

When I was 11 the guy at Vose Bootery tell us a joke that made a big
impression on me and changed my whole life:
"what's black and white and read all over?"
Newspaper.

Also
"What's red and hangs on the ceiling"
Red Dingle Dangle.
"What's blue and hangs on the ceiling"
Blue Dingle Dangle??
"no they only come in red"

That guy was a great child shoe salesman.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/