Re: Leica at the crossroads: a photographer's perspective

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 07:53:44 -0700

Feli offered:

But if using the M in addition to your digital gear makes you happy, then buy one and don't worry what the rest of the world is shooting. I > don't think that every purchase that we make has to necessarily be a > financially sound or a wise investment.<<<<

Hi Feli,
Very sound advice indeed! One of the best ways to have better photography is to be happy with the gear you are using. Each time you use a camera you are not happy with, it disstracts from your concentration and seeing ability. Basically it should always be... "to hell with the other photographers in the world" and what they use! You have to be satisfied in what you use yourself for your best results.

Hell when everyone else was switching to Nikon and Canon I stayed true to my Leica cameras, lenses and personal feelings toward the end result. Not to forget the considerable amount of money invested in the gear. But the bottomline still is, the results of my photography are as succesful as it is simply because screw the world, I use Leica!

I don't think that every purchase that we make has to necessarily be a financially sound or a wise investment.<<<<

Oh geeeeeesh if that were the case, my gear purchases waited until they were "financially sound and wise investment" I'd never have the gear I have! ;-) It usually went like this... "I need that 400mm! Why? Oh hell who cares just get it because if you have it you'll use it!" :-) I love quick and decisive action! ;-)

The other excuse to buy was..."this assignment requires tight stuff or wide." So I'd order the lens, worry about paying for it later! ;-) Heck there isn't any other way to buy Leica gear anyway. Get it, use it, keep it, pay later! :-)

You can't think and buy Leica gear.... just get it! :-) Decisive action! ;-)

ted