Bicycle project off the ground & KIH project in the making!

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 10:07:44 -0700

Nathan Wajsman showed: the makings of a interesting book. :-)
Subject: Bicycle project off the ground

I mentioned some time ago that I had embarked on a project to photograph the enormous variety of bicycles and their owners in this country. I have taken about 150 such pictures during the past month, and edited them a bit. In addition, I have some older ones from Switzerland and a couple of other places. I have now put 129 of them in a gallery. This is very much a work in progress, particularly as regards editing. But I would be grateful if people took a look at this stage and let me know if there are any that particularly stand out for them. The images are here:
http://wajsman.smugmug.com/gallery/704709<<<<

Hi Nathan & Steve,

Nathan:
You're on the way to an interesting book and I'm sure an exhibition some time along the way.

I see other folks have suggested breaking them down into categories, a good idea as you build the material, a kind of chapter category as you go along. Edit hard nose, "if in doubt.... out!" That doesn't mean delete it , but file in another folder for back-up. And in some cases what might not look good today may well turn out to be just the photo required to cut from one chapter to another.

The opportunities you have in Europe is like finding the mother-lode of bicycles and people with virtually a never ending flow of subjects. Quite frankly it can become an endless subject for years and possibly a number of books.

I'd say this is along the line of Steve Barbour's "Kids in Hospital" series. The only difference is, you have a greater number of immediate subjects and can amass the material quicker.

Steve:
Steve on the other hand has a tougher shoot due to the "right child in just the right situation to be acceptable to the public eye!I" More importantly, the eye of a publisher willing to take it on as a saleable product. And I don't have a doubt it will come when he has more material available. Actually in this case, time is on his side because the longer it takes the greater the number of heart warming moments he'll capture.

And we all know he produces very moving moments of children in his care and that of his fellow medical professionals.

So to both of you., Nathan & Steve, stay the course as the final commodity doesn't happen over night. Been there and lived with it! Do not become discouraged and quit because it didn't or doesn't happen as fast you'd like. It's your baby and you love what you are doing. Hang tough!

In humans it only takes 9 months, but in book publishing it may take " 9 years!" And then some.:-(

But like I said, " stay the course" always think positive and it will happen. :-)

ted